ATH-M50 vs DT-770
Mar 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 58
(Posting this without having read through the thread yet -
just want to reply to the thread title first.)

I like the M50's more than the DT770's because
the DT770's have too much bass for me.

The M50's strike a nicer balance; a sound signature
which I find much more listenable.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #17 of 58
This was my experience testing the two out at Guitar Center. The only issue was that I used two different sources to hear the sound, and the DT770s may have been amped. The M50s I tried out straight to my iPod.

Let me add this. I don't want the bass to be overpowering. I'm keeping my HD280s for drumming, and I feel like it has more than enough bass. So if I'm ever in the mood, I can just go to those. I'm looking for something that is balanced. A very natural sound, not a piercing one if I turn the volume really high.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 58
I don't mind having that bass presence there, I just don't want something that will sound to artificial. I thought the M50s had just the right amount of bass. Does anyone listen to a lot of classical music through the DT770s? How does it compare to the sound that is produced from the M50s? I was able to check out classical music through those already.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #20 of 58

Quote:
From my brief time auditing the DT770, that wasn't the case at all.

Then again, I think it's worth noting that my M50 is not like some other M50s with more recessed mid. Mine has a lot more forward mid.

Shouldn't the same models sound the same??? This has me concerned. I just ordered a pair of M50s after considering the DT770. Should be getting them early next week.

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #21 of 58
Just a comment on the M50's. In my case the earpads breakdown (flatten and lose thickness) fairly quickly (a few months). This dramatically changes the sound signature. For me this results in uncomfortable highs and lack of bass. This can be DIY'd by: lining the inside of the earpad with extra cushioning, double stacking earpads (ala Neil Peart), buying new earpads every few months. I like my M50's with extra foam but will eventually get something that sounds as good (or better) that is more comfortable and has higher quality earpads.

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #22 of 58

Quote:
Buy both.

Return one.

I vastly prefer the DT770. It does need a little amplification, but you don't need a super expensive one or anything. A basic unit does more than enough. It sounds better and feels better and looks better than the M50. If your budget is absolute and you cannot afford a small amplifier for the DT770, then I would just get the Shure SRH840 or Ultrasone HFI 780 and not the M50.

Very best,

I lol'ed when you said the Beyers looked better

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #23 of 58

Quote:

I lol'ed when you said the Beyers looked better

wink_face.gif

It absolutely does.

Looks, are just as subjective, as sound signature, when it comes to preference.

Very best,

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #24 of 58
^ Lol, That comparison reminded me of the Monster HDMI vs NonHD cables... You really overglorified the Beyers.

Unrelated, is the FiiO E11 worth the 2x price of the E6?

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #25 of 58

Quote:
^ Lol, That comparison reminded me of the Monster HDMI vs NonHD cables... You really overglorified the Beyers.

Oh? Do explain then. The HMDI vs nonHDMI cable example, which Monster used, has nothing to do with two headphones in the same tier which perform the same function from the same input with the same connectivity. So please explain what you're actually trying to point out here.

Over glorified? No sir, the M50 is over-hyped and over-glorified. By far.

And yes, the E11 is worth it to me, it has more power output.

E6: 150mw (16ohms), 16mw (300ohms).

E11 has two power output modes, low and high. On high: 300mw (16ohms), 200mw (32ohms), 35mw (300ohms).

I ended up getting two for my travel setup, one for each headphone.

Very best,

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #26 of 58

Quote:
Shouldn't the same models sound the same??? This has me concerned. I just ordered a pair of M50s after considering the DT770. Should be getting them early next week.

We had a good discussion about this the other day, but as far as I can tell, it might be a rare occurrence. But there is still that difference, whether Audio Technica intends for it to be there or not. Some M50s just sound... different.

The ones with recessed mid usually has very good bass impact and texture from my experience.

Quote:

Yes. It's actually worth 10x the price of the E6 to me. You'll appreciate it more when you get higher impedance cans.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #30 of 58

Quote:
Oh? Do explain then. The HMDI vs nonHDMI cable example, which Monster used, has nothing to do with two headphones in the same tier which perform the same function from the same input with the same connectivity. So please explain what you're actually trying to point out here.

Over glorified? No sir, the M50 is over-hyped and over-glorified. By far.

I just meant that you had a nice angle on the Beyers, next to the amp and mp3 player along with your pipes, then a picture of the M50s just lying there..flat on a table.
Beyers just remind me of oversized Skullcandy Hesh..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back