ATH-M50 Vs. DT 770
Mar 2, 2009 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Ares

Head-Fier
Long time reader, first time poster

I have three separate inquiries that are all related,

1) I am looking for decent closed cans for under $160. These headphones will be used for portable use (with Zune and FiiO E5, I will get a better discrete amp at a later time if necessary). I came to the conclusion that I want a pair of closed headphones when I realized that although it is enjoyable to carry my 240S around, they leak enough sound to embarrass me on the public transportation. Likewise, I find comfort important while I do not care about size. I have narrowed my selection down to the Beyerdynamic DT770 and the Audio Technica ATH M50. Other headphones that i considered, but rejected, are the Denon 1001ks and the AKG 271/272. If it helps, I mostly listen to bands like Spoon, Arcade Fire, and the Decemberists (All ripped in WMA lossless). What is your opinion?

2) Because I do not want to deal with the ebay/paypal bureaucracy, should i plan to get the DT770 I will buy it from Amazon's Warehouse deals.
The description is as follows:
"Open box unit. Cosmetic blemishes on main unit. Minor damage to outer box. Package resealed. All purchases eligible for Amazon customer service and 30 day return policy"
Does this look safe?

3) What is the difference between the ATH M50 and the ATH M50s?

Thank you for your time and efforts!

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 29
I've recently bought the DT770's and I think your needs are pretty much on the same level as mine were. I'm by no means an expert on this, but I'm liking my DT770's so far.
Mine are the DT770's Pro 80 Ohm btw
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 29
I would be helpful if you stated the specific DT770 you are looking for, since there are four different models, with also different soundsignatures:
DT770 Pro 80 ohm
DT770 Pro 250 ohm
DT 770 2005 consumer edition
DT770 M

And welcome to Head-Fi!

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 29
Curious if you considered the ultrasone HFI-780s. They seem to be pretty well liked here on head-fi for closed phones, and fall right into your price range from the right dealers.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 29
Very sorry, It is the DT 770 Consumer (2005) edition/250ohms

Edit:
The ultrasone HFI-780s are a bit too expensive for me, but thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 29
I am enjoying my ATH M50s quite a bit.

Very good isolation and minimal leakage. Very detailed sound. They excel at classical, jazz, and rock. Bass is a tad weak for hip-hop or techno. The do just fine unamped, though I do have one (two in fact) on the way.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 29
So a FiiO will not be able to decently (I know it will not be great) power the 250ohm version?

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass is a tad weak for hip-hop or techno. The do just fine unamped, though I do have one (two in fact) on the way.

amp it and bass will get tighter and punchier.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amp it and bass will get tighter and punchier.
biggrin.gif

++ I very much agree that M50s need an amp to tighten the bass, although after 100+ hours of burn-in I feel that the tightness of the low end finally reached an acceptable level. M50s are anything but bass light to my ears - a bit heavier than neutral actually.

To the OP: since you have a Fiio E5 already, the M50s will work great for you. Just give them time to burn in for at least 50 hours to really appreciate their sound.
wink.gif

As for beyer DT770 consumer edition - it's also great, and I am sure that it has even more potential than the M50s. However, since they are 250 ohM you'll need a good amp to drive them and I don't think a Fiio E5 is quite up to the task. Also, they are much bigger than M50 and don't fold up like M50s, plus they look much goofier on the head IMO. So for portable use, I think M50 is a much better choice.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 29
Again thank you!

If size did not matter at all (I enjoy the attention ear phones bring, as it fuel for impromptu conversations and converts from the stock apple horde), but only potential sound quality, which do you like more (if properly amp'ed)? What can would you take off the rack? I know this is subjective, but i could not find anyone who has heard both of them and now that I have I hate to be demanding but would greatly appreciate comments of any type.

If the DT 770 is truly better I will not hesitate to invest in an amplification device. Otherwise, just let me know.

I would like to place an order tomorrow but the decision is killing me. I am almost ready to order both and resell the one that I like less, but i am afraid i will like them both.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 29
I still prefer M50 over the Beyer both amped and unamped. The AT has more fun sound - quite bass heavy yet detail while DT770 has more muddy sound.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still prefer M50 over the Beyer both amped and unamped. The AT has more fun sound - quite bass heavy yet detail while DT770 has more muddy sound.

DT770 2005 consumer edition muddy?
confused.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Are you sure you're not talking about the DT770 Pro 80 ohm?
To my ears the 2005 edition is very detailed and airy, with a tight, punchy bass and extended treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back