ATH-M50 vs Denon AHD1001
May 30, 2009 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

AfricanProphet

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that I'll be able to snag from online for around $100. I've heard great things about these two headphones and was wondering what would be best for me. Their main use will be with an iPod in semi-noisy environments. Decent bass is a plus as is portability. If anyone has an opinion on which one of these headphones is superior please give me some insight!

May 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 28
I've been wanting to hear a review comparing these two

I have the D1001, and I like them.
They are semi-portable, short cord, pretty small
Isolation is poor. I'm not sure what semi-nosy is... but if two people were talking at office volumes, you'd be able to tell they were talking at the least.

oh, and they are very comfy.

May 31, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 28
I use the m50 with my ipod and it sounds great. Since I do not have the d1001 I really am not able to comment on them. The m50 is semi portable but may not be smaller than the d1001. They look good and have great isolation. I can hardly make out any external noise, the cups form a firm seal around the ear. they come with coiled cords and are handy if you do not need a long wire. (there is also a straight coil version, if needed).

May 31, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 28
The design and build of the D1001 does not inspire confidence for portable durability, IMO.

Check out the thread going on about the JVC HA S150. It's a cheap little phone, but it seals very well and has nice SQ too.

May 31, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the thread going on about the JVC HA S150. It's a cheap little phone, but it seals very well and has nice SQ too.

I'm leaning towards the M50s...But is there any way the S150s are as good? I like a low price but I don't want to sacrifice any quality...

May 31, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 28
I can probably save you some time searching the forum. I spent way too many hours researching before I bought the M50's. What sold me was that nobody had anything bad to say about them. The D1001's were on my list also. The reason I chose the M50's is that they completely cover the ears and D1001's don't. I don't regret my choice at all. If the D1001's are better then they are the best bang for buck headphone ever. I've never heard them so I won't comment on them.

May 31, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 28
^^
Thanks for that...I really want phones that completely cover the ears and I didn't know the D1001s don't. Also, I can get the M50s new for about $95 which is basically the same for the Denons.

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 28
like i said in another thread... i find the m50s a little sibilant.. not for all artists.. say 50%. but everything else is just perfect with them (for me atleast). just that stupid sibilance had to spoil all the fun.

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason I chose the M50's is that they completely cover the ears and D1001's don't. I've never heard them so I won't comment on them.

This is factually inaccurate, the D1001's completely cover my ears and I have medium/large ears. They are definitely designed to be circum-aural (completely cover the ears) the fit over the ears may be a touch snug if you have very, very large ears but they're definitely designed to cover the ears fully. Please don't say things like this, that are complete factual assertions when you really don't know what you are talking about. There is no way that the D1001's can be construed to be on the ear designs. Perhaps you are thinking of the ES7, which the M50 and D1001 are often compared to.

Responding to the OP:

I really like the D1001s, but if I was doing intense listening in a noisy environment, then they wouldn't be my choice, unless you do the dynamat mod. Personally, I tend to like that they leak some noise in, as loud sounds in your environment are generally important sounds. But I know some like to have a totally silent listening environment and the D1001s definitely don't provide this.

I wear my D1001s on my walk to work everyday, which is straight down peachtree street in midtown atlanta. Certainly not a quiet environment. I enjoy listening to them for that purpose. I can hear if a car honks at me or something like that, but they tend to drown out ambient noises. Also, I'm not generally listening for subtle variations in different performances of Bach's brandenburg concerto on the walk to work either. It's typically The Rolling Stones, Oasis, The Black Crowes, etc.

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 28
Thanks for all the responses!

To Jayeshrc: I haven't heard this complaint by anyone else. Is this something that is highly variable depending on the listener

To fjrabon: Nice interpretation of the D1001s. You really answered a lot of what I wanted to know. I think, though, that because my outside usage of headphones is slightly leas treacherous than yours (walking around a college campus) I still favor the M50.

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 28
I have M50 and have noticed no sibilance. I know what sibilance is too because I also own DT990pro. I like the SQ of M50 better than DT990pro as they have a punchier bass sound and smoother top end. They are not all that comfortable compared to DT990pro though. Tight clamping force, pleather makes my ears sweat and cups are smaller than DT990pro. They do isolate well though and the comfort level depends on your head and ear size.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #15 of 28
i guess i got a defective pair then.. (or my head and ears are completely different from most ppl here), coz mine hardly clamp... they slide a little even if i move my head slowly up or down (nod slowly basically) and i can hear the sibilance very clearly for some of my music. the worst affected track is the space for this by cynic. can someone give it a listen and tell me if they hear any sibilance or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back