ATH-M50 vs ATH-ANC7 vs K271 MkII... help!!
Dec 20, 2008 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Doom

New Head-Fier
Title and a half!

I have done a bit of research and am hoping that somebody may be able to recommend one of these sets of 'phones over the other... or recommend something at same price point that performs significantly better if I have managed to pick 3 turds!

They are all closed, and the ANC7s are noise cancelling, but it is mostly sound quality that I am concerned about and the ability to run from portable devices without the use of an amp.

Hope somebody has more of a clue than I do ^_^

Thanks all
ph34r.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 19
ATH-M50 is one of the best headphones money can buy. I heard it and they really are bass monsters. Distortion free and clean as it gets.

But I found it to harsh and it used to hurt my ears easily but everyone is different so it all depends. My next purchase is Ultrasone HFI 780 cause the Denon D2000 is just to expensive.

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 19
i have all 3, well not the K271 MKII but the K271 studio. Forget the K271 from a portable, you really need an amp with it.

What do you want to know about ATH-M50 and the ATH-ANC7? I would probably lean more towards the ATH-M50. The reason is that that ATH-ANC7 really needs the NC circuiitry enabled to sound good, and that means carrying extra batteries around, just in case. For airline travel, ANC7 hands down.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 19
Well, the carrying of batterys isnt too much hassle, they are supposed to last in the region of 50 hours according to the sales literature, but if the sound is negatively impacted without them then I would sway towards the M50s.

If I were to get a portable amp such as the Voyager (link below) would I be better off with the K271s?

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/headphonea...eamplifier.htm

Are there other worthy headsets that I have missed but may suit my requirements? Need to be closed for when I'm travelling and I mostly listen to rock / metal.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 19
it depends on the sound signature that you like. the k271 is sterile in presentation. it's good for certain things, like piano and vocals. if you're using it to listen to rock, it's not a good fit, IMO. There's a definite lack of warmth due to recession in the upper bass/lower mids area, and it's rolled off the top.

there are a number of closed cans around the same price range. M-Audio Q40, Equation RP-21, Beyer DT660, Beyer DT770 2005, for example. I don't know anyone who has really heard them all, but I would prefer the ATH-M50 if you're looking to go cheap. It's upfront in the mids, though a bit too much at times. DT660 is a bit bright, but with a 120 ohm adapter, it's presentation is smoother and better than the ATH-M50. I haven't heard that DT770 2005. There are also some Ultrasones in the price range as well.

One thing to keep in mind, the headphones you picked are on the bigger side of things. Even with rotating cups, I've never found them too comfortable draped around my neck. I tend to use IEMs when portability is the most important.

Isolation is only mediocre.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have all 3, well not the K271 MKII but the K271 studio. Forget the K271 from a portable, you really need an amp with it.

What do you want to know about ATH-M50 and the ATH-ANC7? I would probably lean more towards the ATH-M50. The reason is that that ATH-ANC7 really needs the NC circuiitry enabled to sound good, and that means carrying extra batteries around, just in case. For airline travel, ANC7 hands down.

I know the M50 is good value for money and it should be more than enough bass you would ever need. But sometimes I wonder if people consider other factors instead of bass?

To me the M50 sounded amazing like studio monitors should except with much better bass than the SONY V6. However even at very very low and high volumes the M50 would sound as though piercing my ears. My ears were sore for days after use with them.

There is something about the mids and highs that really did not do justice for me I had assumed this was a problem with all closed cans but this does not occur with the Denon as far as I understand. Perhaps the M50 was not for me like I said whats one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

I know one thing for sure I shall not purchase a M50 but rather the Denon D2000 or Ultrasone HFI 780. But since denon is to expensive I will have to go with HFI 780. If anything I assume the S logic should be perfect for my sensitive ears that cannot take pressure.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by effectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the M50 is good value for money and it should be more than enough bass you would ever need. But sometimes I wonder if people consider other factors instead of bass?

To me the M50 sounded amazing like studio monitors should except with much better bass than the SONY V6. However even at very very low and high volumes the M50 would sound as though piercing my ears. My ears were sore for days after use with them.

There is something about the mids and highs that really did not do justice for me I had assumed this was a problem with all closed cans but this does not occur with the Denon as far as I understand. Perhaps the M50 was not for me like I said whats one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

I know one thing for sure I shall not purchase a M50 but rather the Denon D2000 or Ultrasone HFI 780. But since denon is to expensive I will have to go with HFI 780. If anything I assume the S logic should be perfect for my sensitive ears that cannot take pressure.

I don't know what you're talking about. Nobody has mentioned bass except for you. It may be your primary criteria, just go through all your threads and your other posting name (John5220).

For your hurting ears, don't listen as loud. Your ears are hurting for a reason, it's too loud.

You've not heard those headphones you mention so I don't think you should give a recommendation based on that.

ATH-M50 has recession in the upper mids/lower treble in addition to the lower mids.

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 19
Well, when I'm playing with eq's I tend to leave mid as standard and up the bass and treble. I like clear tunes with a fair amount of bass.

If the m50s work well from portables I'll be happy, size doesn't matter a great deal; I don't mind looking semi dumb if I'm getting awesome clarity =)

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 19
Hello again, been doing a little research.

I've come across CMoy based portable amp units for sale at what I would consider to be a reasonable price (for links see bottom).

From what I have read, they will power headphones much more easily, provide more potential volume, and perhaps bring gains to sound quality.

Does anybody have experience or knowledge of this product?

Assuming I had one, would it make the K271 MkIIs a better option sound quality wise than the ATH-M50s or the M-Audio Q40s, bearing in mind my preferred sound is good bass (not overpowering), clear treble and fairly standard mids?

Sorry for so many questions, I am an absolute nub ^_^

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 19
I've been doing a bit of research and come across the CMoy portable amps, which seem to be at a reasonable price and claim to power headphones better, increase potential volume, and perhaps up sound quality (see links below).

Does anybody have any knowledge or experience for this product?

If so, would owning one of these make the K271 MkIIs a better choice than the ATH-M50s or the M-Audio Q40s, given that I like decent bass (not overpowering, not a hip-hop fan), clear treble and fairly standard mid tones?

Sorry for having so many questions, I am an utter nub ^_^

Links:-

Bass Boost cMoy v2.02 Amp - Premium Headphone Amplifier on eBay, also, Other, Portable Audio Video, Electronics (end time 25-Dec-08 03:29:20 GMT)

Micro Cmoy headphone amp - Opamp 2227 - Amplifier on eBay, also Other, Headphones, Headsets, A V Accessories Cables, Electronics (end time 24-Dec-08 12:36:42 GMT)

Portable Headphone Amplifier CMOY AMP HEADAMP HI-FI on eBay, also Other, Headphones, Headsets, A V Accessories Cables, Electronics (end time 10-Jan-09 18:22:07 GMT)

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 19
k271 is a cold and sterile presentation. it will meet what you said, except for the bass, it's light in that area. it won't work well with the music genre. It's OK, just *really* boring. It's great for opera, symphony, etc.

ath-m50 is a bit overpowering in the bass, but in the price range you are mentioning you're not going to get a "perfect" headphone. of the 3 you initially listed, I think the ath-m50 is better.

I also own the Q40. It is a warmer, darker sound. Mids are recessed relative to the M50, as it has a mid-bass hump. Lower mids will be more present than the M50. The M50 has a recession there, to give it bass, but also to make it's presentation colder. The treble spike on the Q40 is lower in frequency. It's treble is harsher, and it's emphasis is a bit more in the region where sibilance can be a factor (not saying it is sibilant, but it will make the recorded sibilance more apparent).

ATH-M50 and Q40 are both a matter of taste. I like them both, but for rock music I would reach for the M50. Mids are more forward. Both have trouble in the treble region.

I build my own amps, so can't comment on commercial CMoys.

Do you really need or want closed headphones?

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 19
It would be nice to have closed headphones to prevent leakage when I am on a train / bus, standing in queue for something etc so as not to infuriate other people, otherwise I would likely go for Grado 80s based on what I have read, despite their somewhat retro appearance.

If I did away for the necessity of closed 'phones, what would you recommend?

Also, if anybody knows, am I better off with a CMoy based amp or no amp at all?

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 19
At the current price on Amazon.com, the DT440 is a steal. It's more lively and more engaging. It's brighter though, than the ATH-M50, and less "rumble" in the bass, but the bass is there, just not overemphasized. If you like Grado type of frequency response, the DT440 is better in every way, but without the Grado sound signature. It's heavier though.

For outdoor use, I wouldn't use it though, open, as you said.

I would say that a CMoy is better than no amp. You can build a CMoy to be driven by an external linear AC/DC adapter to give you more voltage headroom than a 9V battery can supply.

The ATH-M50 is pretty sensitive, so I think it might be OK without an external amp. I can't say for sure, as I always use external amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back