ATH-M50 v Bose QC 15 vs Phillips Citiscape Uptown
Jan 4, 2013 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MPalmer76

New Head-Fier
I am torn between these three pairs of headphones. I need help on which to pick. I have heard really great reviews about all three of these headphones. The music I listen to is Alternative, Rock, Pop, Electronica, and some rap. If you guys can help me choose which headphones to get it would be very appreciated. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 7
M50's would do well for the music you listen too.  Pretty balanced headphones, slightly favors base and treble over mids, good build quality.  Agreed with nuggets, don't get the QC, the M50s do well with isolation anyways.
The m50 comfort problem could be fixed by using the stretch mod.  Extremely easy to do, more info on it here;  http://www.head-fi.org/t/493838/stretching-your-m50s-for-less-clamp-and-much-more-comfort

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 7
I am torn between these three pairs of headphones. I need help on which to pick. I have heard really great reviews about all three of these headphones. The music I listen to is Alternative, Rock, Pop, Electronica, and some rap. If you guys can help me choose which headphones to get it would be very appreciated. 

I'd take the QC15 of the three. Hands down. But depending on your needs there might be other, more suitable, options. The M50 IME are just a boomy, sibilant wall of sound (and a very uncomfortable, claustrophobic, and clampy fit); the Philips I tried briefly at a store demo and just felt the overall build was undesirable (perhaps the sound redeems them overall, I do not know).

The QC15 are a relatively good sounding headphone, especially among closed headphones (they aren't harsh nor sibilant, and while the bass is fairly wet, it's also fairly tight). They do eat batteries though, and if you don't need the ANC you should seriously ask yourself if that's something you want to live with. Their sound is fairly v-shaped and "fun" with a reasonably good soundstage (for as light, high isolating, and closed as they are, it's fantastic).

If isolation is a non-concern, I would look at the Ultrasone HFI-2400 and Grado SR-225i as good candidates for your needs as well. Other closed headphones worth considering include the Koss DJ100 (TBSE), and less expensive Bose AE2 (which is a mellower and more laid-back presentation compared to the QC15; if you need some isolation, but not ANC, the AE2 offer better passive isolation than most competitive closed headphones). The Koss and Grado will both be fairly intimate, while the Bose and Ultrasone will have a wider and less intimate soundstage - given the wide variety of music you listen to, there's no clear-cut "typecast" winner to suggest. All would do well enough though.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 7
But the QC15 costs so much!

I don't know what they cost in Australia, but in the US they're $300 generally speaking (they sometimes go on sale) - honestly as far as closed headphones go, they stand up very well at that price (ANC or no). They're comfortable, provide a lot of isolation, lightweight, aren't harsh/clashy, and have a good soundstage - really they hit the spot as far as closed headphones go. Especially if you consider modern releases in that light.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I don't know what they cost in Australia, but in the US they're $300 generally speaking (they sometimes go on sale) - honestly as far as closed headphones go, they stand up very well at that price (ANC or no). They're comfortable, provide a lot of isolation, lightweight, aren't harsh/clashy, and have a good soundstage - really they hit the spot as far as closed headphones go. Especially if you consider modern releases in that light.

Oh, I've always heard that you should only buy them if you have to have noise cancelling. Hmm they are $385 AU here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back