ATH-M50 Upgrade Time
Aug 20, 2013 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheAdmiralty

Head-Fier
Hello again!

It's time again for a headphone upgrade; I've had my good old Audio Technica M50s for a few years now, and all of the pleather is starting to wear off of them... I could always spend $20 on a replacement set of pads, but where's the fun in that when you could get a whole new set of cans?

Anyway, I love the sound signature of these M50's, and would like an upgrade with the same general balance.  I'm looking for a set of closed-back cans roughly the same size (please, nothing absurdly huge, I'll be wearing these around college) in the price range around $300 or so.  I'd really prefer closed-back; I know that the soundstage shrinks a lot with that phrase, but I really need the isolation where I'll be using these at.

Any suggestions?  I've been looking at the Beyer DT770's, but I dont know enough about their sound signature yet... I considered the AKG K550's, but they're just too big for what I want.

Know of anything that fits?  Go ahead and list 'em, because I'll be flipping through these things for the next week or so.

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 4
http://www.mezeheadphones.com/shop.php

Does anybody know anything about Meze as a company?  I've never even heard of them myself, but the top-tier option on their page really looks interesting.  Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Scratch that, I was reading about them and it turns out the earpads are more supra-aural than circum-aural, which isn't what I want.

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Soundmagic HP100- $200 and a solid upgrade over the m50s.

Edit: Currently they're available from a certain famous site that shall not be named for ~$160 shipped - which makes them a steal. PM me if you want the link.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 4
Next question:  If I opened up my budget some (read as 'a lot'), does anyone have any opinions on the Beyer T70's?  They look exactly like what I'm in the market for, and I might be able to come up with the extra money if they're a good set of cans for the price.  Seems like the T70P's would be great, but I'm reading things that are worrying me about the lack of bass... how much would I notice this over my current M50's?  For $400 more, being unhappy with bass response won't cut it for me.

What about the Shure SRH-940's?  Anyone have any experience with them?
Or, maybe there are better things in that price range, but I absolutely cannot go any higher than that.

Opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back