Ath M50: The New vs Old
Jan 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drftg1011

New Head-Fier
Apparently there is a newer version of said headphones if im not wrong. So now im confused because most of the reviews done on the m50s were probably on the older version. Whats the difference between em?

Thanks

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 5
Supposedly, one comes in a white box (the newer one) and has a more balanced sound with less bass, while the other comes in a blue box and is more bassy.  I can believe the claims, because I hear a lot of people considering the M50 very neutral, while I had the blue boxed one and it had more bass quantity than my D2000.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 5
The new ATH M50s are definitely not as bass prevalent as the older model. The new series has virtually no mid-bass or bottom end. The highs are much more pronounced on the new model. My room mate had the old set and loved them. I was quite excited to order a pair. I just received the new model and was extremely disappointed with them. They don't have near the bass response of a $50 set of Sennheisers, let alone their $130 older model. They do seem slightly more clear on the top end, but they aren't as balanced if you are used to the bass response from the old set.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
The new ATH M50s are definitely not as bass prevalent as the older model. The new series has virtually no mid-bass or bottom end. The highs are much more pronounced on the new model. My room mate had the old set and loved them. I was quite excited to order a pair. I just received the new model and was extremely disappointed with them. They don't have near the bass response of a $50 set of Sennheisers, let alone their $130 older model. They do seem slightly more clear on the top end, but they aren't as balanced if you are used to the bass response from the old set.

If it ain't broke... don't fix it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back