ATH M50 Stress Relief spring out of jack?
Oct 5, 2010 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Rich77

100+ Head-Fier
Poking around I found out that the spring isn't supposed to be able to slide up and down the wire (figured that) but I can't get it back in. Is this really anything I should worry about? I'm kinda OCD and just want ti to be fixed but I don't see an easy way and I certainly don't have the smarts to take it apart.

Would gluing it come to the same effect or has somebody solved this before me?

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 24
I don't want to have to pull mine out and then figure out how to put it back in again. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 24
I doubt it really makes much of a difference really, the M50s cable is thick enough on its' own. I was wondering the same thing, if the spring actually did anything, a while ago in class. After some very careful and precise bending with my fingers I determined it was mostly useless. The cable stops bending before the spring compresses enough to make much of a difference. I'd say just cut it off if it bugs you, or try to jam it back in some more. 

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 24
Mine was also loose, and I figured out how to get it back in.

First, you have to imagine how it was pulled out in the first place.
When the spring was pulled under excessive tension, the diameter of each coil was decreased.
You can imagine a spring being pulled with maximal tension, it is essentially a single strand of wire.

So, to get the spring back in, first take your fingernail and pull down the last rung of the spring, while pulling the rest of the spring away from the hole. This first step is to separate the last coil enough to get it caught underneath the lip of the hole.

Then, while keeping your fingernail there as a guide and to provide resistance, pull the spring away from the hole while rotating the spring in the direction of the coil, to "screw in" the rest of the large coils. Make sure to pull on the spring enough so that the diameter of each coil is small enough to be easily screwed into the hole. When you have finished doing this for all the large coils, you will feel the spring slip and it's in place.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 24
That's a great solution, OregonTrail.

On a similar note, does anyone actually know how to open the M50 jack? It seems like opening it would be quite handy if the cable ever decides to break.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
That's a great solution, OregonTrail.

On a similar note, does anyone actually know how to open the M50 jack? It seems like opening it would be quite handy if the cable ever decides to break.

I was wondering this as I started to get a faulty connection. I think it's glued between the gold and steel. I ended up just giving it the chop

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 24
I'm OCD like Rich77, and when I carelessly pulled the spring out of the jack, I was super-pissed to have the spring sliding all over the place. The good news: Oregon Trail's solution totally worked for me. I couldn't get the spring to start turning into the jack at first, so I (carefully!) cut off a couple of the widest coils with a pair of wire cutters. Now I just have to remember never to pull on the spring again. Ever. A word of caution on using wire cutters - DON'T NICK YOUR AUDIO CABLE BY ACCIDENT.

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 24
No need to cut it off.  I just used the sharp end of a pointed wire to push the first strand in, then I kept twisting it, holding the wire tight to the metal plug body so the next coil of wire had to go into the body as I turned it.  Think of it like screwing the wire back into the metal plug opening.  It worked perfectly!  Stupid headphone design.  Thanks though!

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 24
I came up with the same solution, but mine wouldn't simply screw in.  I had to just push the next bit in with my nail in a circle until all of the thicker spring end was completely in. I definitely wouldn't cut it.  My method took maybe 2 minutes.

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 24
The spring on my M50 has caused a faulty connection, left ear is either noticeably softer or completely out unless the cord is bent a certain way. I just ruined the spring by pulling it out too much. Now I'm stuck with it (Technica probably won't repair it seeing it as clear user error). Moral of the stroy, DON'T delay to repair the spring.

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #13 of 24
this happened to me exactly an hour ago, so I was searching the internet for a solution! unfortunately I came up with my own solution before I found this thread. I just used electric tape to hold the metal spring together with the jack. it actually looks pretty nice since the electric tape is black and it matches the headphones.
beyersmile.png

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 24
One quick question though, it might be a stupid one but I just want to know. Is the headphone jack able to spin around freely? After I put in the electric tape, I forgot if I could spin the jack freely when connecting it to a device. Obviously with the electric tape I can't spin anything because the .... eh nvm stupid question lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back