ATH-M50(S), what specific genres of music are these recommended?
Sep 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

furyasd

New Head-Fier
I was thinking in buying the ATH-M50(S), since my headphones are some SONY MDR-E 818 LP.
I only listen to Coldplay, Pink Floyd, so these are very specific genres, and watch Film/TV Shows.

Are these good for what I want or should I choose any other headphones?
Thanks.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 8
the M50's are very well rounded and will work pretty well with any genre, including movies/TV.  there are a lot of headphones in the same price range that also work very well, but there is a reason the M50's are so well reviewed - they work great for a lot of different things.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 8
Rap and EDM, as they are the least effected by the recessed midrange and small soundstage.  I definitely wouldn't use it with rock.

You will most likely find it very impressive if it is your first decent headphone, but it's really nothing special.  If you could state a price-range, we could help you pick something that better fits your needs.

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
the M50's are very well rounded and will work pretty well with any genre, including movies/TV.  there are a lot of headphones in the same price range that also work very well, but there is a reason the M50's are so well reviewed - they work great for a lot of different things.

Thanks.

Quote:
Rap and EDM, as they are the least effected by the recessed midrange and small soundstage.  I definitely wouldn't use it with rock.

You will most likely find it very impressive if it is your first decent headphone, but it's really nothing special.  If you could state a price-range, we could help you pick something that better fits your needs.

I'm thinking about 150$ / 100€.
I've also seen the SONY MDR-V6 with a lot of great reviews.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 8
I believe the M50's is a great intro and value for a larger closed back headphone for about $150. I got mine closer to $100. I have a set, play Coldplay, Pink Floyd and many other styles through them, they sound great but I would like a little more bottom and bigger stage. My next set will be the ath-ws99's. You may consider the ws99's but they are more expensive. Tough to beat the M50 value. For about $50 I can recommend the PX-100 II's, for about $100 the Jays v-jays or if you want to go canal type, Velodyne vPulse. They all sound good but each have their own personalities, cost, pros and cons...

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I believe the M50's is a great intro and value for a larger closed back headphone for about $150. I got mine closer to $100. I have a set, play Coldplay, Pink Floyd and many other styles through them, they sound great but I would like a little more bottom and bigger stage. My next set will be the ath-ws99's. You may consider the ws99's but they are more expensive. Tough to beat the M50 value. For about $50 I can recommend the PX-100 II's, for about $100 the Jays v-jays or if you want to go canal type, Velodyne vPulse. They all sound good but each have their own personalities, cost, pros and cons...

What do you mean more bottom and bigger stage?

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 8
Little more emphasis on the frequencies around 80hz, little bit fuller bass sound. When you close your eyes and listen to the music, how close the music sounds to you, the depth, distance of the stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back