1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ATH-M50 Replacements - m50x or something else?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by cranda58, Jul 20, 2015.
  1. cranda58
    I've got a friend of mine who is purchasing my ATH-M50's and need a new pair of closed back headphones for work.

I listen to a lot of rock, d&b, some rap, some classical. Very wide range of music.

I have a Fiio E10K Olympus 2 DAC/Amp hooked up to my computer, so that's what I will be using it with.

I have always loved my ATH-M50's, so the logical choice would be to just upgrade to the ATH-M50x, but I want to explore additional options as well. I've heard good things and am intrigued by the  PSB M4U 1. How do these compare to the ATH-M50?

Any other suggestions? Looking to spend ~$300 or less. That budget can stretch if it's worth the upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sekka
    I would recommend the Audio Technica ATH-A900x, though the PSB M4U 1 does look promising as well.

Compared to the m50s, they are more comfortable (if the wing system doesn't work for you, just rubber band it together), have a vastly larger soundstage, less midrange recession, less fatiguing highs, and a bit more refinement in general.

pjyi likes this.
  3. pjyi
    I would recommend

- A900X (~ $150)
    - ATH MSR7 (~$225)
    - NAD HP 50 (~ $300)
    - ATH M70X (~$300) although I prefer NAD HP 50 over this one

One of these four depending on your budget and your preference

I also heard a lot of good reviews about mad dog pro headphones (~$350) maybe you can get a used pair.

4. cranda58
    Interesting, going to check out the A900x's.

The size of the earcups on those at first glance made me think of my DT-880 Pros, which are probably the most comfortable headphones I own. Those are open back, but I love the sound out of them. Would it be worth looking at the Beyer DT-770 Pros?