ATH-M50 Replacements - m50x or something else?
Jul 20, 2015 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cranda58

New Head-Fier
I've got a friend of mine who is purchasing my ATH-M50's and need a new pair of closed back headphones for work.

I listen to a lot of rock, d&b, some rap, some classical. Very wide range of music.

I have a Fiio E10K Olympus 2 DAC/Amp hooked up to my computer, so that's what I will be using it with.

I have always loved my ATH-M50's, so the logical choice would be to just upgrade to the ATH-M50x, but I want to explore additional options as well. I've heard good things and am intrigued by the  PSB M4U 1. How do these compare to the ATH-M50?

Any other suggestions? Looking to spend ~$300 or less. That budget can stretch if it's worth the upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 4
I would recommend the Audio Technica ATH-A900x, though the PSB M4U 1 does look promising as well.

Compared to the m50s, they are more comfortable (if the wing system doesn't work for you, just rubber band it together), have a vastly larger soundstage, less midrange recession, less fatiguing highs, and a bit more refinement in general.

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 4
I would recommend

- A900X (~ $150)
- ATH MSR7 (~$225)
- NAD HP 50 (~ $300)
- ATH M70X (~$300) although I prefer NAD HP 50 over this one

One of these four depending on your budget and your preference

I also heard a lot of good reviews about mad dog pro headphones (~$350) maybe you can get a used pair.

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Interesting, going to check out the A900x's.

The size of the earcups on those at first glance made me think of my DT-880 Pros, which are probably the most comfortable headphones I own. Those are open back, but I love the sound out of them. Would it be worth looking at the Beyer DT-770 Pros?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back