ATH-M50 or HFI 780?
Sep 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Drewkman

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy my first set of quality headphones, and after much deliberation, I (think) I've narrowed it down to either the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or the Ultrasone HFI 780.

I've read that there's a distinct difference between the two. The M50 are professionally designed, precise phones which transmit every nuance of sound, right into your ears. Meanwhile the 780, with their 'S-Logic' digital surround sound system, make music sound more natural; as if you're actually at the place where the music is being made, rather than listening to a recording of it. It sounds like the speakers are meters away. But is this actually better for listening to music?

I've also read that the M50 are more comfortable and isolate better.

Another factor which matters to me is whether or not the 'phones are forgiving of lower quality sound sources.

Which one would you guys prefer for listening to music?

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 5
For electronic get the 780s, can't beat them IMO. While s-logic is different from the traditional right-left headstage I wouldn't say they are like listening to speakers, perhaps more of a 5.1 soundstage were your in the middle. Check out the link in my sig if you're interested in multi directional sound.

What source/amp will you be using?

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for replying.

I don't own an amp. I'll just be going straight from my iPod Touch (though not for portable use), my Macbook Pro (not sure what the sound quality from this is like, though I do notice a slight background 'fuzz' using my existing lower end headphones), and sometimes my HDTV. I do plan on re-ripping portions of my music library in lossless at some point, though I'll still like whatever headphones I get to sound good with normal 320kbps mp3/aac.

I don't listen to too much electronica; more of a alt-rock/acoustic kind of guy... I listen to quite a range of music though.

How comfortable are the 780s after prolonged use? And how about sound isolation? I'm fairly convinced that the sound quality is superior to the M50s - especially bass - but these things are important to me.

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewkman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How comfortable are the 780s after prolonged use? And how about sound isolation? I'm fairly convinced that the sound quality is superior to the M50s - especially bass - but these things are important to me.

I prefer the ATH-M50. On comfort, the HFI-780 clamps harder and is therefore less comfortable to me. I'd say they both isolate about equally. Otherwise, your description of the ATH-M50 seems accurate to me. However, the S-Logic aspect of the HFI-780 I don't really hear. They do have very powerful bass though.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 5
interesting thread for me, also keeping an eye on them...
Does someone know, if the cups of these headphones are leather, or synthetic leather?
And, what 'bout substitution-pads for them?

I'm an vegan, so i ask
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
Hiwi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back