ATH-M50 or AD700
Sep 4, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, I don't have a feel for the musical vs analytical balance of the M50. So hopefully this thread (or another you may start) will provide informed opinions.

Sound stage does not seem to be your highest priority. It seems to be enjoying a wide range of music. The AD700 is popular mainly because of its sound stage, price, and use with gaming where positional audio is important. The AD700 are the most bass light headphones that are commonly discussed on Head-Fi. FWIR and from my first hand experience, I know of no other headphones that sell new for under $150 that are more bass light. If a thread were started asking for recommendations of NEW full size headphones that are the most bass light, the AD700 would be at or near the top of the list.

In the under $100 price range, the AD700 is often not recommended by more experienced Head-Fiers for music, and it is often recommended for gaming. And, the M50 is more often recommended for music than gaming.

FWIR, the bass of the M50 is a main strong point, which likely improves with a better source and amplification. I really doubt you would find its bass muddy.

Hahahaha, before starting this thread AD700 was there on top of my list.I thought i'd take some more opinions before buying it.AD700 is now out of my mind.Thank you so much guys, but give me some more choices please...

smile.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #18 of 26
Yes, MS1 is really something that i can search now.I am not sure but, do they sound grado'ish i.e NO SOUNDSTAGE!!!.

I will read more.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #19 of 26
Hey, asrphani.

Both the M50 and AD700 were the two headphones I was deciding between for my first "quality" pair of headphones, after a search for approx. 6 months.

I chose the AD700 because of its far superior comfort. I wear glasses, and any closed headphone (especially studio monitors which are meant to clamp like the M50s) bothered the heck out of me, giving me a headache since my glasses' ends were pushed into my skull. The AD700 doesn't do this at all. You barely feel it on your head, and its pads are velour, not leather like the M50s.

Since you don't care about isolation, then the argument for choosing the M50s for that regard is un-important.

One thing that people keep re-iterating is that the AD700 fit some people like a glove, and others have to do lots of modding to make them fit. I'm one of the lucky ones that I didn't have to do anything, so if you're going to go for them, see if you can try them out before buying.

I like my bass, but not overbearing. e.g., when trying the DT770s (80ohm and 250ohm), I didn't like the powerful bass, it was too much for me. I feel that while the AD700s bass does not have much "weight" to it, it definately punches along, and I'm quite satisfied with it. I sometimes EQ the bass up a few dB to get some extra punch, but I usually don't have to. The M50s have much more "filled out" bass that is less punchy, but ever more present because of the added oomph from being closed headphones.

My opinions are based on over 100 hours of burn-in from each pair, coming from my computer's sound card/speakers. I've heard both the AD700s and M50s run well on portables though. Let me know if you need more info.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpticElement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing that people keep re-iterating is that the AD700 fit some people like a glove, and others have to do lots of modding to make them fit. I'm one of the lucky ones that I didn't have to do anything, so if you're going to go for them, see if you can try them out before buying.

No. People do not keep re-iterating the AD700 fit some people like a glove while others mod it for a better fit. What people keep saying is the AD700 is comfortable, or not comfortable, or made more comfortable after modding, or made less comfortable after modding. Most negative comments regarding the fit of the AD700 are about it fitting too loosely and / or clamping too hard below the ears and on the jaw.

Without modding in any way, I estimate the AD700 does not properly fit or "fit like a glove" for well over 90% of those who have tried it. The fit of the AD700 is wide at the top of the ear pads (too wide to properly fit many people), and much narrower at the bottom of the ear pads (too narrow to properly fit many people). And, the AD700 has no built in mechanism to adjust its fit to compensate for its essentially defective design. The large cushy pads are the main thing built into the AD700 that allows it to be comfortable for some owners.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by asrphani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, MS1 is really something that i can search now.I am not sure but, do they sound grado'ish i.e NO SOUNDSTAGE!!!.

I will read more.

FWIR...

Yes, the MS1 sounds like a Grado. The Alessandro MS1 is essentially a modified Grado.

The AD700 and MS1 are probably the two most recommended open headphones for under $100.

The M50 and D1001 are probably the two most recommended closed headphones for under $100.

But if your budget is higher than $100, it would help to make this known.

Edit:
Here's a new one for under $100 you may want to consider: SRH440.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

No. People do not keep re-iterating the AD700 fit some people like a glove while others mod it for a better fit. What people keep saying is the AD700 is comfortable, or not comfortable, or made more comfortable after modding, or made less comfortable after modding. Most negative comments regarding the fit of the AD700 are about it fitting too loosely and / or clamping too hard below the ears and on the jaw.

Without modding in any way, I estimate the AD700 does not properly fit or "fit like a glove" for well over 90% of those who have tried it. The fit of the AD700 is wide at the top of the ear pads (too wide to properly fit many people), and much narrower at the bottom of the ear pads (too narrow to properly fit many people). And, the AD700 has no built in mechanism to adjust its fit to compensate for its essentially defective design. The large cushy pads are the main thing built into the AD700 that allows it to be comfortable for some owners.

Easy, easy, that's just what I gathered FWIR. All I'm saying is the OP should be prepared for the AD700s possibly not fitting, as I've heard alot of complaints. Maybe I'm over-exagerating the fit because it took me so long to find a pair that was comfortable....

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Easy, easy, that's just what I gathered FWIR. All I'm saying is the OP should be prepared for the AD700s possibly not fitting, as I've heard alot of complaints. Maybe I'm over-exagerating the fit because it took me so long to find a pair that was comfortable....

For me,they were quite comfortable, but didn't feel "right". But they're known as some of the most comfortable phones (because they sit on your head with the AT wing design? And they don't clamp at all).

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #24 of 26
I'm one of those who feel that the AD700s have an adequate amount of bass. It sounds a bit thin with my sources but not to an extent that I would call it anemic.

With many songs, I feel the bass is just right. What bothered me most about the cans were its recessed mids and grain when coupled with the Sony a729. (The grain wasn't discernible when paired with the Sansa Clip - 8gb but was with the A729. Not really discernible with the X Walkman either. )
Then again, my ears might be too sensitive to grain. You might have a difference experience with them.

Overall though, I'm quite satisfied with the AD700s. In fact, I've decided to upgrade to the 900s because I hear that it fixes some of 700's flaws while retaining that airiness that I've grown to love.

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Nothing wrong with being happy with your new headphones. But the forum is already filled with too many fanboyish and misleading posts on the AD700. My reason for posting was to help those reading this thread, and it's not directed at you personally. Please feel free to post your opinions. I know I do.

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Nothing wrong with being happy with your new headphones. But the forum is already filled with too many fanboyish and misleading posts on the AD700. My reason for posting was to help those reading this thread, and it's not directed at you personally. Please feel free to post your opinions. I know I do.

Understood. I agree that in general with all headphones here, they are many posts that are misleading due to fanboy/etc. I could have been more precise, apoligies to anyone reading the thread. Mainly going through 15-20 pairs of headphones and finally finding a pair that fits reasonabally well is nice I guess distorts your opinions.

I definately agree with the recessed mids assesement, but I guess you sometimes have to take part of what's good and what's not the best...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back