ath-m50, dt-1350, what's next?
Mar 10, 2014 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lofthanza

100+ Head-Fier
I own both headphones. I bought the dt-1350s as an upgrade to the m-50s. It was an overall nice upgrade in the sound quality, but I am craving a lot more of an upgrade this time. What headphone would seem as a logical upgrade to both of the headphones mentioned above? I have a budget of $500-600.

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 5
Will the hifiman he-400 be superior to the dt-1350? I know that that is an open vs a closed can, but I am only talking about sound quality and sound refinement

the refinement and sound quality will both be superior with an open can simply because there is no reverberation.  

if your looking for a superior set of closed cans it depends on what you wanna spend. I'd recommend the Sennheiser Momentums or V-MODA 100s if your looking to spend $300 or so, which in reality is what you need to spend to upgrade in a meaningful way anyways.

If your looking to climb another tier, as far as closed cans go, the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog is a great can at I believe $600 and the Fostex TH600 is another great option @ $600-700. Personally, I'm saving up for the Fostex 600s, but as a Momentum owner I can vouch for the superior SQ, sound isolation, and comfort. People complain that your ears don't fit entirely in the cups which is true, however it doesn't hurt the seal or the comfort at all. I'm 6'7" and have accordingly sized ears and although the cups are a tad small it in no way takes away from my music listening experience. 

hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back