Ath M50, Beats Studio and Sennheiser HD555, powered by E7
Oct 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

qawsed

Head-Fier
I recently rediscovered the headphone bug and decided I needed some new cans. Against all my better judgement the Beats Studios were calling me. I thought they looked amazing. I just wanted them. I resisted and purchased some ATH M50s from Amazon along with a Fiio E7 amp. I thought they would complement my (foam modded) HD555s nicely. All was good and I was happy I resisted the overpriced Beats... until I had a few beers the following night and purchased them. I realise that for the price of the M50 and Beats together you could get a pretty sweet pair of cans but anyway...

At the outset I must say the E7 is a really nice bit of kit. It looks great, and although the HD555s and the M50s are easy to drive, it really brings out the lower frequencies with the EQ on setting 1.

The first thing you notice about these headphones is that the Beats kills the other two in terms of presentation and appearance. There is a sense of occasion when you get the Beats, the box is cool and in my opinion they are a very sweet looking bit of stuff. The other two sets are more standard in their appearance and don't really cause much excitement.

Initial impressions:

The 555's are light and airy. Nice soundstage and quite unimpressive bass. The ATH M50s (only 5 hours burn in) were OK. The mids were quite poor but the sound had a nice clear presentation with nothing overpowering anything else. The Beats were, to be totally fair, very fun out of the box. The bass is entertaining and the whole sound blew me away when listening to 50Cent's "Ayo Technology".  When I diversified a bit they were less impressive but I did like them. I would say though that the Beats are nicer ( to me at least) than the unamped M50s.

After some more listening I learned that the E7 on level 1 of bass boost really improved the M50s. They are really quite good for the price I paid (€150). The 555's are lovely headphones too. Cheap, reliable and great if you are relaxed about your bass. Here's where it gets more difficult. I really like the Beats. They are punchy, flashy and fun. I should return them. I really should. But I don't know if I can. They creak when I put them on,  the noise cancellation circuits hiss and they are poorer than the M50's in every department except the bass. But I prefer them. Weird huh. The look and the fun presentation has won me over.

I'm going to have another think over the next few days but against all my better judgement I want to keep the Beats. They are about €100 over priced but I love the sound signature they have. The M50s are without doubt a bargain and especially with the bit of bass boost they are serious cans. The modded 555s are a dark horse. They are clear, balanced and a real bargain for the price you can get them for now.

Now I'm off to sleep to try and convince myself to return the Beats and keep the very good M50s. Hmmm.

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 10
You can stand the bass roll off on the Beats ? 
confused.gif
  There pretty much no bass below 35hz (rough estimate). The studios wouldn't benefit from the amp section of the E7 since it uses its own amp for the ANC. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
I don't notice the roll off at all... I'll have another session with them today and see if that changes.

Man, just keep the Beats and enjoy them.  All you're going to get on this board is people saying the Beats suck, you can do much better, no highs and mids, weak bass extension, etc.  I've heard it all.  Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I just feel that as far as the Beats Studios go, the criticism of the sound quality being horrible is exaggerated.

I own the Beats Studios, HD555s, Panasonic HTF600s, Samson SR850s, and HD280 Pros.  I've had extended time with many high end Grados, Denons, AKGs, Audio Technicas, Shures, etc. both at home and in studio sessions.  I still own and use the Beats.  Do I think they're the greatest headphones ever?  No.  Do I think $299 is too much to pay for them?  In my opinion, Yes (Paid $150 for mine).  But I don't judge people who pay the full price for them and in all honesty, can see why some see them as being worth the full price.

There aren't many headphones out there that combine style, noise canceling, portability, a built in amp, and contrary to popular opinion on this board, excellent sound all in one.  I don't have a issue with hearing highs and mids like some claim.  Are they recessed some?  Yes, just as the case with many headphones that are bassy.  Are they the best headphones you can buy for clarity?  Not by a long shot.  But lets be honest, very few people are sitting at home with their headphones measuring frequency response and seeing if they can hear the engineer sneeze in the background of a studio recording.  That's not the market the Beats were aimed at.  But I will say they are tops for me as far as fun headphones go.  I use mine for travel use and believe it or not, fun gaming sessions when paired with my Dolby Headphone processor.

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:

Man, just keep the Beats and enjoy them.  All you're going to get on this board is people saying the Beats suck, you can do much better, no highs and mids, weak bass extension, etc.  I've heard it all.  Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I just feel that as far as the Beats Studios go, the criticism of the sound quality being horrible is exaggerated.

I own the Beats Studios, HD555s, Panasonic HTF600s, Samson SR850s, and HD280 Pros.  I've had extended time with many high end Grados, Denons, AKGs, Audio Technicas, Shures, etc. both at home and in studio sessions.  I still own and use the Beats.  Do I think they're the greatest headphones ever?  No.  Do I think $299 is too much to pay for them?  In my opinion, Yes (Paid $150 for mine).  But I don't judge people who pay the full price for them and in all honesty, can see why some see them as being worth the full price.

There aren't many headphones out there that combine style, noise canceling, portability, a built in amp, and contrary to popular opinion on this board, excellent sound all in one.  I don't have a issue with hearing highs and mids like some claim.  Are they recessed some?  Yes, just as the case with many headphones that are bassy.  Are they the best headphones you can buy for clarity?  Not by a long shot.  But lets be honest, very few people are sitting at home with their headphones measuring frequency response and seeing if they can hear the engineer sneeze in the background of a studio recording.  That's not the market the Beats were aimed at.  But I will say they are tops for me as far as fun headphones go.  I use mine for travel use and believe it or not, fun gaming sessions when paired with my Dolby Headphone processor.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, you've just listed everything about the Beats, and very accurately too 
beerchug.gif
 From what I can tell, the OP is a basshead, as a basshead myself I would definitely recommend against the Beats. While I would eventually buy the Beats after I get my hands on better gear, I wouldn't buy them as a upgrade to the stuff I already have. I don't think the OP needs looks and that is the best part of the Beats, considering he is fine with the HD555 and M50.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, you've just listed everything about the Beats, and very accurately too 
beerchug.gif
 From what I can tell, the OP is a basshead, as a basshead myself I would definitely recommend against the Beats. While I would eventually buy the Beats after I get my hands on better gear, I wouldn't buy them as a upgrade to the stuff I already have. I don't think the OP needs looks and that is the best part of the Beats, considering he is fine with the HD555 and M50.

The way I took it is that the OP is trying to talk himself out of liking the Beats based on the universal opinion on this board.  If I'm off base on that then I apologize.  I was encouraging him not to.  Whether something sounds good or not, as well as it's value, is an opinion not a fact.  If his is that he likes the sound of them, then he shouldn't return them because most on this board says he should.

I was one who almost sold mine because many said on this board that I should.  If I had I would have been disappointed because none of the headphones I own or have tried in the $150 price range gives me the overall package that my Beats Studios do.  Not saying that they're the best, just that they're unique and bring some things different to the table that are worth the $150 I paid for them.  The OP needs to do the same based on whatever price he paid.  It's fine to ask for opinions, but in reality only you know what sounds good to you.

Oh yea, he did say that he likes the looks of the Beats.

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:

The way I took it is that the OP is trying to talk himself out of liking the Beats based on the universal opinion on this board.  If I'm off base on that then I apologize.  I was encouraging him not to.  Whether something sounds good or not, as well as it's value, is an opinion not a fact.  If his is that he likes the sound of them, then he shouldn't return them because most on this board says he should.

I was one who almost sold mine because many said on this board that I should.  If I had I would have been disappointed because none of the headphones I own or have tried in the $150 price range gives me the overall package that my Beats Studios do.  Not saying that they're the best, just that they're unique and bring some things different to the table that are worth the $150 I paid for them.  The OP needs to do the same based on whatever price he paid.  It's fine to ask for opinions, but in reality only you know what sounds good to you.

Oh yea, he did say that he likes the looks of the Beats.

You are entirely correct with what you say. I am really enjoying listening to them at the moment I must admit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back