ATH-M50 Bass Quality vs Studio Beats Bass Quality?
Dec 18, 2011 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

trivium

New Head-Fier
Hey sorry if there is a thread already like this one, i searched around but i havent found a thread that seemed to fully answer my question regarding bass quality. Through many threads ive found that there is a larger consensus that the M50s are overall better sound quality for the price. Im not very savvy with sound and ive only owned some cheap skull candys but i tried the beats in store and i thought they sounded amazing but for $300, that was too much for me so i was hoping that the price was all hype for the name and that i could find something equivalent if not better for cheaper say the $200 or less range. I found that a lot of people are saying the M50's are better but im wondering the the bass is as good as the beats, i like my music to be sort of bass heavy and i really liked the bass in the beats but of course i have other music that doesnt need to always have heavy bass and im taking that into account. So im basically asking, will the bass quality of the M50's meet my expectations from what ive heard personally from the beats by dre. If not? is there anything you could reccomend for me around $200 or less that will provide at least the same quality of the beats by dre?

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Hey sorry if there is a thread already like this one, i searched around but i havent found a thread that seemed to fully answer my question regarding bass quality. Through many threads ive found that there is a larger consensus that the M50s are overall better sound quality for the price. Im not very savvy with sound and ive only owned some cheap skull candys but i tried the beats in store and i thought they sounded amazing but for $300, that was too much for me so i was hoping that the price was all hype for the name and that i could find something equivalent if not better for cheaper say the $200 or less range. I found that a lot of people are saying the M50's are better but im wondering the the bass is as good as the beats, i like my music to be sort of bass heavy and i really liked the bass in the beats but of course i have other music that doesnt need to always have heavy bass and im taking that into account. So im basically asking, will the bass quality of the M50's meet my expectations from what ive heard personally from the beats by dre. If not? is there anything you could reccomend for me around $200 or less that will provide at least the same quality of the beats by dre?

Beats fart in your ears

M50's have a lot of quantity and quality but can be a bit untame sometimes. Not ever as bad as the Beats.

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Beats are $175 headphones that for some reason people are willing to pay $300 for.
ATH-M50 are great when you pay $120 for them, but not for $160.

Denon AH-D2000, I've never used them, but those that do own them seem to like their bass.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, works decently unamped,
but really recommended to have a headphone amplifier to bring out their best.
Used one on eBay go for a good price.

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 9
i don't personally know what the m50's sound like but from what i've read. your question is more m50 QUALITY vs beats QUANTITY.
again from what i've read. you will undoubtedly be satisfied with the QUALITY of the m50 vs that of the beats. especially from a price point of view.

however. it's up to your ears whether or not you will be satisfied with the QUANTITY of the bass in the m50s.
if bass QUANTITY is what you seek, then try out the sony xb500 or sony xb700. see if it suits your ears. (and it should :p)
you can find those easily at bestbuy and sometimes even walmart.

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 9
yeah i suppose thats probably more along the lines of what i am asking. But i dont personally find the sony models asthetically pleasing at all and would not want to be seen wearing them. after more research, i decided that im debating between the m50s and the ultrasone hfi 580's ..im leaning toward the hfi 580...anyone know how the bass compares to the beats?

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 9
Coming from a D2000 owner, I think the M50 gets way too much **** for their bass. The M50 can be a bass monster, if eq:ed and amped properly for bassheads, without distortion and it can hit low, deep and with both power and authority. If anything, I'd say that the bass is actually one of the M50's stronger points.

I haven't heard the Beats tho, so I can compare. Just wanted to say that the M50 does have a good bass regardless of what anyone says.

I'll have the Pro 900 soon as well, and then it is comparison time between my headphones, and to be frank, sometimes I do enjoy the M50's more than the D2000's. Especially with electro-/synthpop, as I find the M50 to have a more aggressive in-your-face sound signature. D2000 is great for the most music, except electro where I find it a little too laid back.

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
yeah i suppose thats probably more along the lines of what i am asking. But i dont personally find the sony models asthetically pleasing at all and would not want to be seen wearing them. after more research, i decided that im debating between the m50s and the ultrasone hfi 580's ..im leaning toward the hfi 580...anyone know how the bass compares to the beats?

Be careful with the HFI 580 as the S-logic is kind of controversial and far from everyone likes it. If you like it I bet the 580's will suit you fine, however, I'd suggest that you audition them first alongside with non-S-logic headphones to hear the difference.

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 9
I think i understand what he's talking about. He's probably talking about the vibration effect that Beats studio give you when you hit the bass. No M-50 will not give you the same effect, because the bass absorbance it has for more controlled and cleaner bass sound. Vibration is not really a good thing, because it could lead to driver damage. I used to have beats studio for few weeks, before i returned it. The way the M-50 is the accuracy that it gives you. Have you ever walked into a club? they don't vibrate, but bass sounds so full that your head feels like it's been filled up with bunch of air, that's the Bass you want to hear. I have WS55 solid bass and it gives me that feeling.

alskdfjlaskdjflsdf I LOVE MY WS-55!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back