ATH-M50 and Mogami 2534
Apr 27, 2010 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mmayer167

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, let me start by saying in know this is in the wrong place, I thought it would do more good here as more people look here.

So I've been enjoying my M50's for about a month now and didn't really feel the urge to re-cable until I stumbled on some cheap Mogami 2534 cable. The cable is really robust and sort of heavy but I'm getting used to it. The color in real life compliments the black beauties very nicely, I just wish I could have run the full cable to each ear. Beggars cant be choosers i guess.

Before with the stock cable i thought the sound was great, and after the re-cable was done I had an issue with clean solder joints and was freakn out for a while. I'm using Cardas quad solder and an adjustable 50W iron so no issues there. I went back and re-flowed the joints in the switchcraft plug and things sounded fine. This is a testament to how big a role a clean solder job plays, for me at least. I'm listening to them right out of my uDAC and as far as sound goes the mids are finally there! I no longer have any beef with these cans, they are my go to pair for just about everything now even for jamming on the epiphone
biggrin.gif
So conclusion is the mids are where i feel they should be with these guys and it might be the projection of the mids that makes the bass seem less boomy but whatever happened it's great. Sorry for the long winded sentences, im not an artist of the English language...

The cable is 8 feet long terminated with a switchcraft 3.5mm plug, for reference its really nice to solder to. The m50 drivers are goofy with a little circuit board dealio on the back of them so if you take on a re-cable of these cans just look at which leads go to the driver wire and solder to those. They are also clearly marked with LR and -. Overall id say this was a bit simpler than the pair of dual entry k702's i did 2 months ago, there are a few parts inside of the m50 which makes understanding them take longer than 2 seconds.

Here is a picture of the finished product \/ i think i covered most of it but if you have any questions just pm me or post
wink.gif

img00016201004261947.jpg

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 4
I thought the mids were a bit recessed before, probably because i was coming from the 702s. and i fixed some of the enter errors
wink.gif

and no i just soldered to the spot the old leads were on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back