ATH-M50 Amp Suggestions
Jan 29, 2011 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Arc6

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers,

I recently got bit by the audiophile-bug, and after some research, found that the ATH-M50 was the best set of cans for me. Now, I turn my constant pursuit of the bigger and better (and preferably cheaper) to headphone amps. I am going to be using them at home with a laptop, and also on the go in public places, so the amp can't be too bulky. Here are few questions I have:

1. Do ATH-M50 headphones really need an amp and/or how much will one improve the overall soundquality?

2. Are there any drawbacks to running audio through an amp?

3. What exactly does a DAT do?

4. Any suggestions for an amp under $50?

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 14
1. Need an amp? No. The ATH-M50s are 32 OHM cans and are very easily powered by almost any device. The question is would you want an amp anyways. I have heard success stories using these headphones with different amps, so better sound is possible. It also depends on what equipment you're upgrading from.

2. The addition of the amp creates more bulk, and thus reduced portability. Even for the portable amps, it's an additional thing between your source and your headphones.

3. I think you mean DAC. DAC stands for Digital to Audio Converter. You would use a DAC to bypass the sound card on your laptop, as many laptops have lousy sound cards. Benefits to this would include the following: fixing the buzzing noises, interference and soundfloor problems associated with laptop sound cards, and just to get cleaner, more pronounced sound in general

4. That is a very low price point. All I can think of is the FiiO E5. Read reviews on Amazon about it.

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks, for the info.

The DAC is an external component correct?

How does it bypass the sound card?

And if I don't get an amp, is it worth getting a DAC?

Quote:

3. I think you mean DAC. DAC stands for Digital to Audio Converter. You would use a DAC to bypass the sound card on your laptop, as many laptops have lousy sound cards. Benefits to this would include the following: fixing the buzzing noises, interference and soundfloor problems associated with laptop sound cards, and just to get cleaner, more pronounced sound in general\

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 14
the DAC connects to the computer via USB ports, so it doesnt use the sound card. see it , in a rough way, as an external sound card. and yes you can get only a DAC, depends on which it could be an improve to the built in sound card, it usually is.

FiiO E7 is a DAC and also portable amp, Im waitting for the FiiO E11, upcoming, only portable amp but more powerful, and expected to cost less than the E7, E7 is around 90$.

never tried but read about NuForce mobile icon, DAC, around 70$, very portable.

trust me, the E5 does nothing, i have mine here, never use it.

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 14
Horse crap the E5 does nothing. I had the Sennheiser 238's and the E5 benefited them greatly. The E5 is a fantastic introductory amp and did wonders for my Sr125i's.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 14
I've tried the FiiO E7 and the NuForce uDAC-2 now. In my opinion, the NuForce is superior.

It's also great to have an analog volume control. With the FiiO E7, you have to set it up to lock the screen so that it doesn't kill its screen. And then you have to unlock it every time you want to change the volume. It's very annoying.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 14
The E5 has numerous sources spread all across the web praising it's ability to effect any and basically all shapes of headphones. Certainly not as good as the E7 or Nuforce but still more then acceptable for it's price range. Have you even used it mang?

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
I've tried the FiiO E7 and the NuForce uDAC-2 now. In my opinion, the NuForce is superior.

It's also great to have an analog volume control. With the FiiO E7, you have to set it up to lock the screen so that it doesn't kill its screen. And then you have to unlock it every time you want to change the volume. It's very annoying.

i prefer analog controls too, at least for desktop or non-portables.
does the NuForce one add the sound something else? or just "clean" it? I've heard Nuforce stuff has the fame of being bright 

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
The E5 has numerous sources spread all across the web praising it's ability to effect any and basically all shapes of headphones. Certainly not as good as the E7 or Nuforce but still more then acceptable for it's price range. Have you even used it mang?

for 20$, yes i give you that.

but a PA2V2 for 50-60, is a hell of a difference, but again not 20$.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 14
Take look at the uDAC-HP... maybe more than you want to spend, but worth it.

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac2hp/

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 14
How much could I expect the sound quality to improve on a pair of ATH M50 cans once I add a DAC or portable amp? Assuming I get a Fiio E7, is it even worth busting out the wallet when paired with these headphones?

As a side note, I just went on eBay to see if there were any good deals . . . NO! They are selling knock-offs from Hong Kong for $0.99. Lesson to be learned: If it's too good to be true, it is.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 14
An amp part wont make a big difference to the M50 but a DAC will. A DAC will give you a clean digital source compared to onboard audio.

I have the m50, nuforce udac2 (DAC/AMP) and ibasso d2+ boa (DAC/Portable AMP). Both nuforce and ibasso sound excellent with the WASAPI plugin. I do prefer the ibasso because you can use it as a portable headamp.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 14
PA2v2 is sufficient and good and all but the E5 and PA2v2 aren't as big a difference as what the HIFI community make them out to be....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back