ATH-M40x and FiiO X1 - Should I add a Fiio A3 or Q1?
Nov 20, 2017 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

blakean

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm currently using a Fiio X1 (1st Gen) along with ATH-M40 headphones. I am wondering about the possibility of adding an amp between them. I never max out the volume when listening to music. Would adding the Fiio A3 or Q1 add any perceivable benefit in sound quality? Does anyone use this particular pairing with the A3 or Q1?

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks...

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 6
I would think your better off selling the FiiO X1 and buying the FiiO X3.
Or selling off the ATH-M40X and buying better headphones (not trying to knock the M40X).

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 6
Isn't the Q1 a dac/amp? If you're gonna bypass the entire player I'd say get a new player

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm currently using a Fiio X1 (1st Gen) along with ATH-M40 headphones. I am wondering about the possibility of adding an amp between them. I never max out the volume when listening to music. Would adding the Fiio A3 or Q1 add any perceivable benefit in sound quality? Does anyone use this particular pairing with the A3 or Q1?

Not a lot and it's hard to tell if it's worth the expense and the bulk for you. Q1 has the added benefit of having a DAC in it that works with Android and iOS, but if you're fine with the X1's interface, that matters less. If anything, at least it works with a PC - the X1's USB DAC function only works on the Fiio K5's dock.

Speaking of the K5, you might as well just get that to use the X1 as a USB DAC, and you get a more powerful desktop amp for when you're at home. You can try some other harder to drive open headphone for use in that situation.

Isn't the Q1 a dac/amp? If you're gonna bypass the entire player I'd say get a new player

He can't do that with the Q1 since the X1 and practically almost every DAP out there doesn't output an audio stream via their sync port.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 6

Yes, it's true that the Q1 is also an external DAC. This would theoretically be an added benefit to be used with a laptop, in addition to its amping capabilities. I don't intend to bypass the X1 DAC.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Not a lot and it's hard to tell if it's worth the expense and the bulk for you. Q1 has the added benefit of having a DAC in it that works with Android and iOS, but if you're fine with the X1's interface, that matters less. If anything, at least it works with a PC - the X1's USB DAC function only works on the Fiio K5's dock.

Speaking of the K5, you might as well just get that to use the X1 as a USB DAC, and you get a more powerful desktop amp for when you're at home. You can try some other harder to drive open headphone for use in that situation.

Thanks for the input, The amp would predominantly be used while moving about. I have a full-sized amp, DAC (CA DACMagic100) and speaker setup that I'm happy with and which doesn't involve the X1 when I'm at home.

I'll doubtless improve my gear in the future. I was just wondering if a small addition to what I have now would be worthwhile. Perhaps it would be moreorless fruitless. In that case, I'll just enjoy what I have.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back