ATH-M30s
Jun 9, 2005 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
i need something closed and relatively cheap for commuting and traveling, and i was recently looking at IEMs like the shure E2C and the sony 7506/v6. i dont really like how the senn 280s are so big. anyways, i happend upon AT's US line, which includes the ATH-M30s. they're the perfect price, but the problem is they don't fold like the V6s. could these phones be portable at all? also, how do they sound in comparison to the V6s? i want something relatively easy to listen to, for studying in the library, trying to get some rest on planes/buses, etc.

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
i need something closed and relatively cheap for commuting and traveling, and i was recently looking at IEMs like the shure E2C and the sony 7506/v6. i dont really like how the senn 280s are so big. anyways, i happend upon AT's US line, which includes the ATH-M30s. they're the perfect price, but the problem is they don't fold like the V6s. could these phones be portable at all? also, how do they sound in comparison to the V6s? i want something relatively easy to listen to, for studying in the library, trying to get some rest on planes/buses, etc.

Have you decided against the Panasonic RP-HJE50 or e2c completely? They're still going to give you better isolation than full-sized cans, and are the most portable.

I doubt the ATH-M30s are as small as say, PX200s. Then they'd only be portable if you can toss them into a backpack or leave them around your neck. Btw, have you considered the PX200s?

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 4
i have not completely ruled out earbuds and IEMs, but i do not care for them much. i do not find them very comfortable (even with foamies), and there seems to be a raging debate on the sound quality of some of the lower priced ones. as for portability, i have a satchel that i usually carry around. i just dont want something too large, like the big senns and beyers. the phones just have to be somewhat portable and be easy to drive from the ipod. i actually have not heard the px200s. maybe i'll just settle for the hd201s. How do those compare to say, the V6s, M30, and HD280? i know they probably won't come close, but hey, i'm a student on a budget, and the $18 price tag is mighty appealing. by the way, what happend to the tool on headroom that let you chart and compare multiple headphones in terms of isolation, impedence, etc?

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 4
There are some that prefer the sound of MD33s or EX81 over Shure e2/e2c. It's still relative to the user's listening preferences. Personally, I think I prefer my Panasonics for rock over my Shures and Sonys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back