ATH M-50's vs. Shure SRH840's
Aug 16, 2009 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SashimiWu

100+ Head-Fier
So I have basically decided to get one of these two headphones and I am torn.

I was thinking about getting a nice pair of cans and I have basically decided to get one of these two headphones.

I am absolutely torn.

I will probably use these headphones for gaming, and mostly listening to music from a laptop and an mp3 player.

I listen to alternative, rock, indie, acoustic, punk/power pop, along with some light metal and rap.

My dilemma is hould I really spend an extra 70 bucks to get the SRH840's?

They have had seemingly great reviews so far and people are digging the sound but on the other hand I have not heard people say anything negative about the ATH M-50's or much about them at all.

If they are a great set of headphones as well, should I even bother getting the SRH840's?

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 12
Well, it's been a very long time since I've used the m50s. I sold my set a REALLY long time ago. But lets put it this way. The M50s are not as nice as the Sennheiser 595s. Maybe in the bass deparment, but not the overall sound quality. The SHR840s are better than the Sennheiser HD 600s ( in my opinion, I have both ) And the hd600s are nicer than the 595s lol. So if you do the math, the answer lay within the formula :p

So yes, IMO pay the extra $ for them. They will not only last longer, but you can do more with them.

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SashimiWu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dilemma is hould I really spend an extra 70 bucks to get the SRH840's?

If you can spare $70, you really should spend it... lol (sorry about your wallet), because FWIR you more likely would prefer the SHR840.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it's been a very long time since I've used the m50s. I sold my set a REALLY long time ago. But lets put it this way. The M50s are not as nice as the Sennheiser 595s. Maybe in the bass deparment, but not the overall sound quality. The SHR840s are better than the Sennheiser HD 600s ( in my opinion, I have both ) And the hd600s are nicer than the 595s lol. So if you do the math, the answer lay within the formula :p

So yes, IMO pay the extra $ for them. They will not only last longer, but you can do more with them.

erm has the OP listened to the HD595s or HD600s? not to call you out or anything but for anyone reading this, please keep in mind that both sennheisers are open back headphones so their sound characteristics will differ from the closed back M50s and SRH840s.

funny lol i had a chance to listen to the M50s today unamped but i chose to try the AKG K171 MKIIs instead.

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.n.d. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm has the OP listened to the HD595s or HD600s? not to call you out or anything but for anyone reading this, please keep in mind that both sennheisers are open back headphones so their sound characteristics will differ from the closed back M50s and SRH840s.

funny lol i had a chance to listen to the M50s today unamped but i chose to try the AKG K171 MKIIs instead.

Thanks for your suggestions but I never really liked open back headphones because of all the sound leakage since I plan to use these headphones outside a lot.

Thanks for the comments guys. You guys are making me want the SRH840's more but I thought that they were really large and kinda annoying to carry around?

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 12
The m50s are really nice for the price. I have one and will not let it go. I also a D7000 but for portable use i prefer the m50 and do not even have a feeling to upgrade since its really nice. It can play a wide range of genres with ease. I use it out of my itouch and it gels well with it. Does not need to be amped.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 12
I'm comparing sound quality. What else can you compare to the 840s that are open close backed? Your choices are limited. So I compared them to excellent sounding open backs. As I've said in multiple topics prior, its a different experience.

Since people around these parts are extremely anal about comparisons...I'll avoid it next time and just give a straight answer: Yes, pay the extra for the Shures. They are better than 99% of the headphones out there for that price range.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread.

I have just bought a pair of Shure SRH840's on amazon for about $170 shipped and I hope that my first set of full size headphones will be amazing!

Once again thanks for the input!

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

I have just bought a pair of Shure SRH840's on amazon for about $170 shipped and I hope that my first set of full size headphones will be amazing!

Did you get warranty? The amazon page doesn't mention Shure's warranty included =/
It's a bargain price though, I might get them too.
o2smile.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 12
I definitely miss not having a good portable. Do they work well out of an iPod or Clip? I know there's a long thread, but I'm not up to wading through it at the moment. I'm thinking of getting the m50, but I'm also wanting to try the Shure if it's really that much better and will sound good with my Clip. I'm really sorry I bought the RP21, because it won't fold small enough to take out in my knapsack. It would make a great portable otherwise.

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm comparing sound quality. What else can you compare to the 840s that are open close backed? Your choices are limited. So I compared them to excellent sounding open backs. As I've said in multiple topics prior, its a different experience.

Since people around these parts are extremely anal about comparisons...I'll avoid it next time and just give a straight answer: Yes, pay the extra for the Shures. They are better than 99% of the headphones out there for that price range.

ah ok then. congrats OP on the purchase, and btw they do fold up and come with a carrying pouch for carrying around. i will get these pretty soon as well.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

the srh840's are pretty amazing.. they're fairly easy to drive too, im really enjoying mine.. hope you do too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back