ATH-L3000 web limited color
Nov 15, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #62 of 105
I don't think the Coach beige is such a good idea. My guess is most people handle their phones quite a bit and I wouldn't want to worry about discoloring that beige. Next thing you know you're wearing a pair of matching Coach gloves to keep the phones clean. Too much maintenance.

Nov 16, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #63 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by briana
I don't think the Coach beige is such a good idea. My guess is most people handle their phones quite a bit and I wouldn't want to worry about discoloring that beige. Next thing you know you're wearing a pair of matching Coach gloves to keep the phones clean. Too much maintenance.

Good point.

Nov 16, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #64 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by briana

Good point also,
redface.gif
but at the same time I disagree. At a price point such as the L3000's, (no matter what colour the leather comes in) I assume the owner would be quite carefull in handling it anyways, and a good quality leather (being Connelly and all) would not lose it's colour quite so easily. A phone such as the AT-W2002 has a high lacquer shine that could also prove to be quite a maintanence with fingerprints (sorry I can't speak from personal experience
frown.gif
but any owners of the W2002 feel free to lend us your experiences).. but it's quite relative, no?

Nov 16, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #65 of 105
'Quite careful' as in making sure their hands are clean before handling. The more valued a personal belonging (and usually the more expensive) the more care is taken by the owner to maintain it's general condition, IMO, and of course, YMMV. Peace
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2003 at 11:25 AM Post #67 of 105
I personally like the original tan color better. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a red or blue color versions of the L3000. I guess the buyers in Japan don't mind the colors since it would be something unique and different.
I'd imagine that anyone who owns a pair of these limited edition L3000 will definitely take care of them which includes being aware that you don't handle the cans with your dirty or oily hands and that you occasionally clean and condition the Connolly leather with a high quality leather conditioner.

Nov 16, 2003 at 12:18 PM Post #68 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by GlowWorm
I follow ya, but British Racing Green is a dark green, not fluorescent green like those cans are.

GlowWorm,

Yes, exactly.

Racing Green and Connolly leather - that would have been an understandable combination. But this colour? Who wants to look like a Power Ranger?

Nov 16, 2003 at 1:16 PM Post #69 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by GlowWorm
I follow ya, but British Racing Green is a dark green, not fluorescent green like those cans are.

I draw your attention to my previous post regarding the inaccuracy of AT colours on screen. Although these really could be that hideous green of course...

My uncle apparently likes the look of that green. But the question on both of our lips is of course, how does it compare to the R10? Does the 10 years between the creation of these and the R10 promise any advancements in sound? Or is it comparable?

Nov 16, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #70 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I draw your attention to my previous post regarding the inaccuracy of AT colours on screen.

It says on the same page that the color is "sage green with magnolia white piping". Only piping I see on the pic is a beige one on the headband. So I guess bangraman is right.
But I'm sorry, I still don't have guts to go for it.

It is very unfortunate that Audio Technica does their business like this and draws attention to limited color thing. This is $2500 headphone and your obvious target is audiophile people, all that matters is sound. It is not breakfast cereal, you can't sell it with limited Hideki Matsui picture on the box. And I believe I'm speaking for many audiophiles in Japan.

Nov 17, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #71 of 105
I suspect this will sell out very quickly in their home country (they like brighter colours over there), but will not go over so well over here.
Quote:

Originally posted by hero zero
...they should make a limited-limited edition with black leather instead...

I concur!

I also agree with the thought that pretty much any other colour would have been nice (red, blue, purple, blurple, DarkForestGreen).

[size=xx-small]Well, alright, maybe not yellow.[/size]

Nov 17, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #72 of 105
Quote:

Originally posted by Takashi
It is very unfortunate that Audio Technica does their business like this and draws attention to limited color thing. This is $2500 headphone and your obvious target is audiophile people, all that matters is sound.

Strongly agree with it!!!!!!

Nov 17, 2003 at 6:09 AM Post #73 of 105
Quote:

Dusty Chalk said...

I also agree with the thought that pretty much any other colour would have been nice (red, blue, purple, blurple, DarkForestGreen).

[size=xx-small]Well, alright, maybe not yellow.[/size]

[size=xx-small]Or hot pink.[/size]

Nov 17, 2003 at 8:16 AM Post #74 of 105
QUOTE]At a price point such as the L3000's, (no matter what colour the leather comes in) I assume the owner would be quite carefull in handling it anyways,[/QUOTE]

You never know, some student audiophile might blow their whole loan on a pair and wind up eating pbj sandwiches for a whole semester. That thing wouldn't look pretty with grape jelly smeared all over it. I think the argument is more you're so rich you don't have to care. Otherwise you're angle parking that new Mrecedes across two spaces so no one can scratch the paint, announcing to all the world that you can't really afford it.

Of course for me this is all hypothetical.

Nov 17, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #75 of 105
I just hope that for $2500 the can had better sound like it worth every penny of it. If making it limited edition and even more limited by a different color justifies Audio Technica's reason to charge so much, their sadly mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back