ATH-FC700 vs ATH-es7
Nov 1, 2008 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FinalAura

New Head-Fier
es7
Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATH-ES7 : Portable Headphones

fc700
Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATH-FC700A : Portable Headphones

I'm currently interested in some good earphones for home and portable use (walking to class, studying, etc) and have stumbled across these two earphones'. I really want to try the audio technica brand for looks and also for the superb sound quality I hear they put out.

My question is, the fc700 is good amount cheaper, but are the es7's much better in comparison? I mainly listen to rock, classical, acoustic, basically everything except rap and country. I'm not much of a bass person as well, so thats not really a priority. I really like the es7 mirror finish, but am afraid they will get scratched a lot, though I could buy some invisible shield to place on them.

I couldn't find any reviews on the fc700s, but the ath es7 seems pretty good from what i've read. Looking to spend up to $150 or so, but i'm not buying them immediately, I just want to know so when the time comes, I know what to get. Maybe there is something better for the price?

Also wondering if there is a lot of leakage on these...

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 13
Rather than starting a new thread, I was wondering the same thing.

Which is better? I'm currently in Japan, and would like to buy a pair of EC7 or FC700s before I leave. I like listening to indie rock, dance-rock, hip-hop, and some dance music. I'd say I listen to indie rock 50%, hip-hop 25%, and everything else above 25%. It's a weird mix, I know. Other than the indie rock, I guess some decent bass would be nice.

I can easily find reviews for the EC7, but the FC700s are harder to find. I did a search and saw someone that said they were good, but is that compared to a decent set of headphones, or compared to a $50 pair of Sonys, or equivalent?

I don't intend on getting an amp because I find them inconvenient, so I'll just be running this out of my Nokia 5800 XM.

I may also be looking to buy a pair of IEMs (Victor FX500 or CKM70), but I guess I should start a thread in the other forum.

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 13
The specs are quite a bit different between the two phones as is the price. I know I really like my ES7 ALOT for their sound (comfort not quite so much) so I would recommend them over the FC700 considering their better specs. BTW are your from the US? If so you can get the ES7 refurbed for around $70 which is a pretty good price for these (just in case they are alot more than that in Japan).

Also if your an adventurous soul, AT is coming out with an open portable phone that looks alot like both of the phones you have mentioned but in an open format (lets more noise in but should have the characteristics of an open phone like the AD700) this phone is just being released in Japan this month. If you like open headphones it might just be a killer choice (but you would probably be the first Head-fi member to get it if you did so it is a bit of a gamble and of course the rest of us would love your impressions of them too
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
). You can see this thread if your interested.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 13
here's a review on fc700

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/a...dstage-424665/

i own a fc700... there's no sound leakage... great soundstage for a portable headphone... so far i bought it and i had no regrets

although i'm like u tempted to get ES7 ( which is in the future when i save up $$ ) and yeah it's mirror finishing so it's finger-print magnet and scratch prone if u dun take of it easily.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So which would be the better choice then?

I have both, but have only had the ES7 for a few days. I would say they have very similar sound signatures, but the ES7 has more detail, presence and soundstage. It is also more sturdy seeming. On the downside, it folds, rather than collapses, the headband sticks out a bit more, and they seem to clamp a little harder. I really should not be comparing these headphones though, because I barely know the ES7 and if you asked me in 3 weeks, I might very well tell you that I've sold one or the other of them. But since you ask...

I would also mention that HeadRoom carries the FC700A and has a "review" of sorts. They give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buranko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello. I'm actually looking out for portable headphones too. I am also considering these two pairs. Anyway, we know if ES7 have a lot of counterfeit products right?, how about FC700A? Do they have a fake production? What is the normal price range? It's listed $40 on amazon, brand new.

I doubt enough people buy the FC700A to make it worthwhile counterfeiting it. In any event, that $40 price on Amazon is from Amazon, not a reseller. Don't worry, they're not fakes. That's where I bought mine.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 13
Do you think it is possible that some bought both a real one and a fake one then gave the fake one back and now J&R is selling a fake ES7 as refurbished because they didn't check or something?

May 1, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 13
hello! instead of posting a new thread about a similar issue, i figured i'd revive this thread instead.

i currently own an ath-fc700 which is actually my very first headphone. so far ive been impressed by the sound quality and the comfort (not to mention the design)

but now im wondering whether upgrading to an ath-es7 would make a significant difference in the sound quality or not. i cant tell for myself cause i dont have access to test the ath-es7.

my source is just an ipod and i mostly listen to drum n bass, rock, and even pop, and i dont intend to get myself a portable amp just yet.

any opinions is highly appreciated :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back