ATH-FC7 vs The Plug for portable?
Nov 16, 2004 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Rodent

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm now in the market for a pair of portable phones.
Before I can make my choice I need to get some more info on the FC7's though(yes, I've read most threads).

Isolation/Leakage: How much do the FC7's leak and isolate? I am mostly going to use them on the bus and on the train so I dont want to have to crank up the volume much.
Nor do I want the person next to me hear what/if I'm listening to music.

Looks: I've already seen them worn, but all the pictures were profiles of the person wearing them. How much does the headban extend outwards? Is it as bad as the HD280/HFI700s which I now have?
Could someone show me pictures of them, facing the camera and wearing the fc7s? You could edit out your face if you're not comfortable with it on the internet.

I know that the plug isnt that highly regarded around here, but I can get them really cheap. Also, looks shouldnt be a problem with them and I guess they isolate okay.

Okay, so I stumbled across some threads about AKG's new phones and the 26P's look very promising, anyone tried them?

Nov 16, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodent
I know that the plug isnt that highly regarded around here, but I can get them really cheap. Also, looks shouldnt be a problem with them and I guess they isolate okay.

They don't really isolate that well, not when you compare to any real canal phone. The plug has a hard plastic body that seems to conduct sound right into your ear. And if you cover up the air vent holes to help block some noise they sound even worse.

If you need to save money, get a pair of hearing protection earplugs for $1 and hum to yourself. Really, that's how bad I think the plug is.
eek.gif

Nov 16, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
They don't really isolate that well, not when you compare to any real canal phone. The plug has a hard plastic body that seems to conduct sound right into your ear. And if you cover up the air vent holes to help block some noise they sound even worse.

If you need to save money, get a pair of hearing protection earplugs for $1 and hum to yourself. Really, that's how bad I think the plug is.
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Well, I'm getting them for really cheap so I dont really have any expectations, I just want something better than the earbuds I have now, which keep falling our of my ears.
Depending on this thread though, I might get the fc7s instead. They're definitely sonically superior but the rest is just as important for me.

Nov 16, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 29
etysmile.gif

If they're cheap enough and you have a few hours to spend trying things take a look at this article on headwize on modding the plug for better sound. None of that worked for me, but it seems to work for some people.

I still say it's better to go for some real canalphones or closed headphones.

Nov 16, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
etysmile.gif

If they're cheap enough and you have a few hours to spend trying things take a look at this article on headwize on modding the plug for better sound. None of that worked for me, but it seems to work for some people.

I still say it's better to go for some real canalphones or closed headphones.

Probably will mod them if I get them, yes.
However, the AKG 26P's are looking mighty tempting...
Could a mod please change the title to "ATH-FC7 vs The Plug for portable? vs AKG K26P?? (update)"?

Nov 16, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 29
IIRC the AKG K26P is only available in Germany/Europe.

The general consensus is that "The Plug" is crap.

FC7's are nice. They don't stick out very far at all off the sides of your head. They have very little isolation, but do not leak very much. I prefer them for school, becuase they allow me to hear what is around me, but with the volume at about 110-125% over my normal listening level, I can easily down/tune out anything I do not wish to hear.

Nov 17, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 29
Those earbuds you have that are falling out have that as an advantage over The Plug. Really, you're better off striking up a conversation with an imaginary friend. Or wear your earbuds and put tape over your ears - anything but the Slugs, anything...

Now for a real recommendation or a few - how about the Senn MX series, or something like the Sony EX71 or Sharp MD33 for more isolation?

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 29
I had the FC5 which is basically the same as FC7. They don't provide much of isolation so I think it is better to go for the plug or other canal phones if use it in the train.

Also, the FC7 is not very comfortable to me. The drivers are pressed tight on my ears and it will start to hurt my ears after 45 minutes of usage. It also make my ears pretty hot. I cannot use this phones for more than 3 hours in a day.

I would recommand sharp MD-33 4-pole canal phone, they are very comfortable, bassy, and at a good price also.

Nov 17, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 29
Yep, I'll definitely add some padding between the cans and the pads to get the driver further away from my ear if I geth the FC7's.
The md33s are looking good too, but I think I prefer regular headphones, still haven't really decided.

Is there anyone who's tried the AKG's? Doesn't seem like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back