ATH-FC7: Review
Apr 1, 2006 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
Yes!!!! They got here! I ordered from audiocubes for a total of $64 USD. ($9 shipping is part of that $64)

Wow!! These things are a lot smaller than I thought, which is good. I heard they were smaller than the stock pics, but this is much smaller than I thought.

Since I literally got them 5 minutes ago, I'll give you my first impressions, and later on give you a description after they burn in a bit.

So far, sound quality is nice. Hopefully get some better sound after a bit of burn-in. Definitely hearing things I haven't heard in my using when using my stock creative buds or earhugger clip-ons. I'm using it through my zen micro unamped and un-EQ'd. I might try out some EQ later, see what difference it makes.

I'm listening to System of A Down with them, and I'm pretty impressed. (my first 'phones over $15)
edit: Just tried out some Rock EQ. It sounds amazing now, can't wait till the burn-in is done.

Definitely comfortable. I heard a lot of complaints about the snapping back of the headband to the smallest size. Mine doesn't seem to have that problem. I mean yeah, if you move them around a bit, it will, but if you pull down and put them on your ears, they should definitely stay there. Isolation is pretty good considering its on the ear.
edit: Update on comfort. After wearing them for about 2-3 hours today, I found them extremely comfortable. Once in a while, my ear feels a bit too much pressure, but simply moving them around fixes this.

I'll get back to you guys with more details later today after some burn-in with an album of system of a down.

UPDATE: Pic's added!!!

I put them on flickr, because I was way too lazy to lower the size of the pictures.

See the gallery here.

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 42
A few hours? That's not nearly enough!
icon10.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 42
Hi Pyro,

Also a happy FC7 owner, but only used for
on-the-go situations, home demands a
different rig...
be patient, give it some time, at least 50-60+ Hrs.

I estimate mine took 80-100 hrs. for the sound to stabilize.
Before that it will sound slightly veiled and wooly.
After settling, the midrange opens a bit, highs extend
further, bass tightens a bit. Midbass is a forte on these,
which is a very good thing to me when you spend time in outside
environments.

These are closed phones, so will never sound as open
as an open-back. But for traveling situations, I think its the best
combination of sound, size, isolation, and price. The closest
competitor in its price range is the AKG K26P or Koss PortaPros.
Of course, if you spend more.......as they say here, sorry
about your wallet.

Oh, I pair a PA2V2 with these and they're even better amped.

Happy Listenin'

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 42
No way I'm getting an amp. I don't want my wallet to be empty any time soon. Maybe when I have a good job and make enough money. I'm a freshmen in high school!

I'll take your advice with the burn-in.

By the way, I also heard that the FC7's are better than the K 26 P's in many aspects. I too will plan on using these mainly on-the-go. What did you burn yours in with? (what songs/artist/album) I doubt it would make a difference, but I'm using System of A Down, because I listen to them a lot. The Zen Micro is also EQ'd while burning in. Is that right?

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 42
Pyro,

I've owned the K26P for about 6 months and it
sounded more veiled (which never lifted even
after a lot of hours) to me. The Portapros are
lighter and brighter in character, but at the same time,
a bit "grainier" (which bothers me) to me than the FC7's.

I enjoy a great variety of music, but to break in phones...
I recommend hard rock or metal (Korn, Metallica, Disturbed)
constantly plugged, played with the "repeat" on a home CD player...
leave it on for 2-4 days... or just plug it in during your sleep
hours for a week.

Happy Listenin'

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 42
I'd prefer not to break in any headphones with
a porta-player. There's a drain and wear-tear
on the battery, especially with an EQ-Bass setting...
I would choose a constant AC device to break
it in.

I don't know much about the Zen
products (Ipod'er) and its spec's.

Happy Listenin'

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 42
Its plugged into the AC adapter, so nothing can happen to the battery. Are you saying I shouldn't use the EQ when burning them in?

Would it be smarter to use my wmas off of my pc?

edit: whatever. I plugged them into my pc for burn-in. When I go to sleep tonight I guess I'll switch back to the zen micro, so I can shut down my pc.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
No way I'm getting an amp. I don't want my wallet to be empty any time soon.

But you can get a PA2V2 for less than you spent on your headphones.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 42
Stop tormenting me!!!!!!
tongue.gif

Maybe in a month or two if I decide I really want one. I'm happy with just my 'phones for now, and hopefully for a long time.
biggrin.gif

What are you talking about for cheaper than my phones? They're going for like $75

Apr 1, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 42
I hope you enjoy them. I gotta admit, that the sound was kinda flat straight out of the box. I put them on later, and wow, what a huge difference. I'm hearing things I never heard in my songs before, and I love it!

The most I ever spent on headphones, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

By the way, where did you order from?

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
I hope you enjoy them. I gotta admit, that the sound was kinda flat straight out of the box. I put them on later, and wow, what a huge difference. I'm hearing things I never heard in my songs before, and I love it!

The most I ever spent on headphones, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

By the way, where did you order from?

Bluetin
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 42
How much did you pay with shipping, and where is it being shipped to?

My dad didn't feel to safe with bluetin (I don't have a credit card) and their system is kinda wierd, so i splurged and spent $64 with shipping at audiocubes. It took them 5 days to get them over here. Hopefully they will last me long enough and keep me happy enough so that the extra amount I spent won't be too big of a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back