ATH-EW9 Review
Mar 4, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #16 of 43
Takashi, I don't hear significant problems in the upper-mids on my EW9, but I do listen alot to vinyl via a Corda HA-1, or directly out of a D-25S (and it's unfortunate that your profile doesn't list any associated equipment, so I'm afraid that your impressions cannot be judged fairly without the context of source or amplication). (But I'm currently without a good CD player, so factor that into the mix from my perspective.) They get better with use and breakin. The ATs are far, far more listenable than something like the peaky V6 (very unlistenable sibilant peak in the 7K Hz range) or Grados, to me anyway. The comfort is unmatched, and I won't/can't wear ear canal phones.

They're very much like the EM7, but with a bottom to match the mids and top. Plus the build quality is improved and the design refined (the rotating clip mounts are better done, and the cable layout is better, plus the cable is rubber-coated instead of that fragile silken fabric). Bangraman, I think you'd really, really like these. A major step up from the EM7. The neoprene case is the same as before, but in a different color (black neoprene, grey zipper tape, switched from the EM7 case).

The KSC35 sounds pretty nice for the money, granted, but I wouldn't put them anywhere near the AT-EW9 as far as refinement, midrange transparency, and top end delicacy. They're throw-away junk as far as build is concerned. And I find the bass overwhelming, wooly, and very annoying. For the price, they have few peers, granted, but since when was this only about price?

Mar 4, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #17 of 43
JML,

My main purpose of ear clips are portable use, so it's always connected directly to iPod or PCDP. I was not interested in plugging EW9 to my not-so-good-but-OK headphone amp (HD51).

Right now I'm connecting PCDP(CT710) line out to HD51 and listening with EW9, and yes, high's much clearer and low's deep as before, overall balance is much better. I still think mid-high is a little strong, though it's not obvious.

Maybe I'd better use Supermini from next time I use EW9 at work.

As for KSC35, I agree with you. I was bit excited with cheap phone being so good, but after all it's no match of EW9. I think price is very important, but you are right, it's not ONLY about price.

Mar 4, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #18 of 43
That helps clarify things -- they do benefit from available power. Run right out of my laptop, they aren't as good as from the powerhouse D-25S, and that's not as good as my Rotel preamp, which isn't as good as the Corda.

Mar 5, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #19 of 43
I have two questions regarding EW9s. First, you justifiably compare them to KSC 35s, but how do they compare to full size headphones in the similar price range: 150-200$? Do they compare favorably in sound quality, or looks/convinience factors heavily into high price? How do they compare with E3c, another highly favorable headphone with similar price? Second, as far as I understand there is a very serious drop-off in unamped use. Is that true? How do they sound out of portables?

Mar 5, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #21 of 43
The problem with portable use is the source. If you aren't using an amp, you won't realize the full potential of any headphone, earbud, clip-on, etc. Most portables are woefully underpowered. And if you're listening to highly-compressed audio files, you're introducing yet another problem and variable.

So the result at your ear is going to be a combination of can and sources (quality of the amplification and the recording method employed). The AT has potentially great sound, but it deserves a very good source. They'll show you the limitations of your recordings and your amplification.

You may be happier with a "worse" headphone given what you're connecting them to. It's a system you're creating, and the end result will depend on the cumulative effects and shortcomings of everything before your ears.

Mar 6, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #22 of 43
hey guys, great reviews! the EW9 and the EM9D/R looks really tempting... *drool*

i was wondering what the final word is comparing the woodies with the aluminum ones. is there really a sonic difference between the two materials? it looks like the woodies are slightly more sensitive at 105 dB.

secondly, how is the isolation on the EW9 or the EM9 combos? i can't tell if these are open or closed phones. how will they sound on the subways, and will others be annoyed if these is any leakage.

also, i was wondering how they compare to the Sony MDR-D66sl eggos. i use my D66 eggos mainly on my commute riding the subways, i would like to get a pair of these sexy AT earclips for a spring/summer phones.

thanks!

Mar 6, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #23 of 43
Thanks for the awesome review on the new AT clip-ons. It's always nice to hear how AT is improving and innovating new products. These sound like a nice looking, and decent sounding set of clip-on cans. I for one hope that AT continues to improve this design and release more and more good products.

Mar 6, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #24 of 43
These are very small; they sit on the outside of your ear. They're closed on the outside, obviously, but they provide very little isolation, and they can be heard by others around you. They fit somwhat closer and tighter than the Koss KSC-35 because of their size and shape, however, so they leak a bit less sound.

Mar 7, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #25 of 43
I finally got some time to compare EW9 with SR225(I don't have SR60) and HD497. (And I don't have E3 nor E3c)
In an effort to answer previous questions, here are what I thought.

From portable w/o extra amp, sorry but EW9 is no match for SR225. EW9 lacks bass volume which makes overall balance focused in mid high. Still EW9 retains its clear sound and high resolution, but SR225 gets more bass, better balance. HD497 on the other hand exhibits far less resolution and muddy high, bloated bass (all in comparison with EW9). HD497 doesn't change much w/ or w/o amp.
With amp, EW9 regains good balance. Deep bass, clear high, good resolution. EW9 can now compete with SR225 but EW9 has shine in mid-mid high range, while SR225 has punchy mid low-low. I like SR225 for gutsy rock and EW9 for more acoustic music. I like HD497 for its versatility but in this case, there's not much to talk about.

Quote:

Originally posted by visia
I have two questions regarding EW9s. First, you justifiably compare them to KSC 35s, but how do they compare to full size headphones in the similar price range: 150-200$? Do they compare favorably in sound quality, or looks/convinience factors heavily into high price? How do they compare with E3c, another highly favorable headphone with similar price? Second, as far as I understand there is a very serious drop-off in unamped use. Is that true? How do they sound out of portables?

Quote:

Originally posted by xand
To enlarge upon the previous posters questions: How do they compare even to sub $100 full/mid headphones like the Grado SR60 or Sennheiser HD497?

Mar 10, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #26 of 43
I took some time at audio shop and compared EM9R, EM9D and EW9. Some maybe still interested so I'll write about it. All were powered by AT-HA50.

Compared to EM7, EM9R has significantly better bass, more refined highs. EM7 sounds a bit tinny, but EM9R has good solid bass. Also highs are shiny but not sibilant.

Switched to EM9D, I was a little shocked that this one's highs and lows are obviously clearer than EM9R. These holes on the shell are not only for cosmetic reason, but this phone is really "open". If you listen from back side of EM9R, the sound is somewhat distant, but from EM9D you can really hear it.

EW9 has very different character....more mid and warmer sound. (I'll skip the rest as I wrote about it already)
These may be different depending on your source and amplification. I guess right out of a portable player you won't hear much difference.

Mar 10, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #27 of 43
Excellent insight. These seem really enticing, if it was not for the price. It seems like they would definitely need an amp and with new Senn 555 in the same price range, makes it tough to pick them, if only for the portability.

Mar 10, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Takashi
I took some time at audio shop and compared EM9R, EM9D and EW9. Some maybe still interested so I'll write about it. All were powered by AT-HA50.

Compared to EM7, EM9R has significantly better bass, more refined highs. EM7 sounds a bit tinny, but EM9R has good solid bass. Also highs are shiny but not sibilant.

Switched to EM9D, I was a little shocked that this one's highs and lows are obviously clearer than EM9R. These holes on the shell are not only for cosmetic reason, but this phone is really "open". If you listen from back side of EM9R, the sound is somewhat distant, but from EM9D you can really hear it.

EW9 has very different character....more mid and warmer sound. (I'll skip the rest as I wrote about it already)
These may be different depending on your source and amplification. I guess right out of a portable player you won't hear much difference.

Wouldn't the little holes on the EM9d mean that it's bass response would be less than that of the EM9r and EW9 since there is a way for sound to leak while the enclose chamber of EW9 and EM9r provide space for resonance? Could the warmer sound of the EW9 just be a placebo effect?

Mar 18, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #29 of 43
Takashi,
WHich would you say is more balanced with or woithout amp:
EM9d or EW9? Also, which has better bass and less sharp highs?

Mar 18, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #30 of 43
Sorry, I ment EM9r, the one without holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back