ATH-EW9 (as compared to KSC75) ???
Mar 24, 2006 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

m_memmory

1000+ Head-Fier
Since I got my E2c and started coming on here I've realised that they actually aren't the best sounding things around for the price and I actually prefer the sound from the KSC75 that I brought on a whim (wow... those things really sound good)

Well I've since lost one of the clips and while I'm waiting to see if I can get another clip from Koss or have to get a new pair I've been listening to my E2c whenever portable and I'm beginning to realise that I don't particularly enjoy having something in my ear when not needed to.

Anyway... to the point - I've been looking around and I just love the look of the ATH-EW9. They just look so sweet (just something about having a woodied pair of phones I guess) and from reading what threads I could find they sound like something that I might like when amped from my PA2V2.

However I can't seem to see much of a contrast between these and the KSC75. I was wondering if it'd be worth the price? I can find them for about £100 in the UK and I'm not sure whether I should go for them or whether it's just my wallet getting itchy seeing as I've not brought anything audio related for a while now.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 11
They're actually very different sonically and in terms of fit. The KSC75 has a nice large clip and earpad area and I had no problems getting them to fit nice and snug against the ears as a result. The EW9 is much smaller and has a more delicate clip system that works okay if you're stationary, but when I was walking around, I couldn't find any way to get them to stay snug to the ear.

Sonically the KSC75 has a much fuller and thicker sound. The bass is pretty nice. EW9 is certainly more detailed and quicker, but I found that unless I held them against my ears, they were too thin and lacked bass. These, for me, are not portable phones as walking around, they flopped around, failed to isolate at all, and couldn't get any sound into my ears. You then try and compensate by raising the volume, but that just results in a bright, piercing sound as only the highs get to your ears, and not the mids or bass.

I really wanted to like them, and maybe they have characteristics that I would find redeeming if I were to get another pair now, but overall, I cannot recommend these to most people, especially those who are looking to replace their KSC75s.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 11
I'd imagine the woodies would provide coloration that the plastic of the KSC75 wouldn't. Honestly, I'd just save your money and buy a better amp, or a DAC or something.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 11
Like what the guys said, EW9 and KSC-74 sound signature are worlds apart. EW9 has such detailed highs while KSC-75 has wide boomy bass...really depends on your genre of music.

I personally would prefer EW9 for guitar instrumental and female vocals, and KSC-75 for dance music.

My 2-cents worth.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 11
I never had the KSC-75 but did have the KSC-35. I agree with what's been said about the EW9. I bought mine (from jjcha!) solely based on looks. While they are sexy, that's not really relavent unless they're off your head. (Unless you like looking in the mirror when listening to music.)

As for comfort, as jjcha said, they don't fit all that well. I use them in a bedside rig and find that they tend to irritate my ears after a while, which is fine in my case because I usually fall asleep before the CD is over.

In terms of sound quality, I enjoy them when played at low volumes. They have oodles of detail and speed, but do not give you any bass impact and nothing you can do, apart from pressing them to your head, can change that. However, if you want to listen to mellow, acoustic, or classical music at low volumes they're pretty nice.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 11
I agree with what Fizban said above.

Regarding isolation, like jjcha said, there isn't much. I tried using mine while I walked around neighborhood next to a busy street. I had to crank up the volume, and I wouldn't want to listen at those levels for any length of time.

Otherwise, the EW9 sound sweet -- nice mids and highs. The overall sound, especially the low end, will improve with an amp.

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 11
IMO:
Is the EW9 the best AT clip-on there is? Yes
Does that mean AT clip-ons are good: No

From my recollection of the ksc35s (if the 75s are anything like them) you will really miss the bass. It had decent mids/highs, but really lacking in bass (which is even more apparent if you go down the clip-on line to the metal ones). It did have a more refined sound however.
And fit, I never got a really good fit from it. The clipon mechanism is just too flimsy.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks everyone.

I think I'll take the advice and save the cash (shock... head-fi advising someone to save money!!)

Plus, as I was walking to work last night (a time I would normally be listening to my KSC75) I took my MS1 with me instead... and started to remember why I loved these things so much - and for the walk to work (and even when at work at times) they are loud enough that I don't hear what's around me (I don't work in a very noisy place really)

Seems I'll just stick with what else I've got and see what I can do about picking some more KSC75 up some time perhaps.

Mar 25, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 11
That's the safe bet. The EW9 are really a unique set of clips. They are well made and do have a certain refinement to their sound. However, they're not for everyone and to a certain extent are more of a collector's item than anything else.

The KSC-75 on the other hand are a decent set of portable phones you can use every day in a variety of situations, at an excellent price. It's a case of utilitarian all purpose headphone vs. headphone objet d'art.

Mar 26, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 11
all i have to contribute is yes, they do work very well for mellowing out to piano, acoustic, female vocals, etc. this goes hand in hand with the comfort of these clip ons, i find myself falling asleep with them on.

in a way that's bad, b/c sometimes i forget i have them on long after i've turned the music off so when i get up to walk to the bathroom, *yank*. it's not the metal hangers that go on your ear that take the damage, it's the wood ... b/c they end up hitting something on the way to the inevitable floor. damn you newton.

gotta say though, these clips turn a few heads. was gonna buy the KSC75's but i miss the sale thankfully, b/c i've read of some limited edition KSC for head-fi were in the works
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back