ATH-ESW9 vs ATH-A900 vs Sennheiser HD-580
Jan 21, 2008 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

btag

Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting a new pair of headphones. I'm looking to spend $200~$300. I want a pair of headphones that has a good sound stage, good details, and preferably doesn't require an amp.

I'm currently considering:
Audio Technicia ATH-ESW9
Audio Technicia ATH-A900

Now my question is, is the ESW9 really worth the extra $100 in terms of sound?

Also, how would those two Audio Technicia without amps compared with a Sennheiser HD-580 with a Corda Move Amp? (My friend's setup. The kind of sound signature I'm looking for.)

Anyone have any suggestions on headphones that I may have over-loooked that fit my needs?

I currently listen to primary Chinese pop, Japanese pop, techno, trance, and some rock. I am getting this pair of headphones to compliment my Grado SR-225 and fill in for those slower songs that require the sound stage and details.

Jan 21, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 5
Well for 300 dolar you can get a new hd580 and mini^3 amp. Why you're getting some ATH without an amp?

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 5
IMHO, if you don't specifically need a portable, I would go for the A900. The ESW9 are great portable cans, however, the a900 will be more comfortable for long listening sessions. In addition, I don't believe that any Audio Technica headphone will have the same sound signature of an amped HD 580. Perhaps someone else could make a recommendation of a can that doesn't need an amp but has sound like an amped HD 580.

Happy Listening!

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 5
If you are looking for HD580/600 sound signature combined with an amp, you are better off doing that. You can find an HD600 around 200ish new, or less used, and throw in an amp grabbed of FS forums - set.

ESW9 will replace the Grado rather than compliment it...

ESW9 is better than A900 in my book sound-wise, but A900 is more comfortable.

Quote:

Why you're getting some ATH without an amp?

Since when does an ATH need an amp? O.o I think only W5000 and L3000 really need amps.

Quote:

Perhaps someone else could make a recommendation of a can that doesn't need an amp but has sound like an amped HD 580.

AD2000 is not quite the same, but there are more similarities than differences. And it is more expensive ... (nice can though, worth it).

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 5
Hmm true... for $300 I can get the HD-580/600 with an amp. I guess got carried away by the looks of the ESW9 when I was considering the A900 initially.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back