ATH-ESW9 and HFI-780
Mar 23, 2008 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kanan

New Head-Fier
I have seen many headfiers talking about HFI-780
and now I am curious about HFI-780.
biggrin.gif

I use ESW9s as portable hifi cans.
Honestly,how good is HFI-780 compared to ESW9?
Does anybody compere these 2 cans?
What is the difference?
Which is more suitable for Rock and how about the other?

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 16
I don't have the ESW9 but I can tell you that the 780s are very good for rock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen many headfiers talking about HFI-780
and now I am curious about HFI-780.
biggrin.gif

I use ESW9s as portable hifi cans.
Honestly,how good is HFI-780 compared to ESW9?
Does anybody compere these 2 cans?
What is the difference?
Which is more suitable for Rock and how about the other?

Mar 23, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks Pfillion!
How about the treble of HFI-780?
Is it smooth?
Does it have clear transparency?

Mar 23, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 16
I would consider these as opposites. The ESW9 is warmer and has some congested bass on some tracks. The 780s are very detailed and some consider this as a drawback, I don't. The 780 matched with a amp that is musical and warm will do it all especially when re-cabled. The 780 would be more "in your face" or aggressive presentation.

But both are very good but different.

Mar 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 16
I'd say that the treble is like the Grado RS-1. For my tastes, it's just perfect. (Not too smooth, not too harsh..)

Keep in mind that I have the modified version of the 780s.. (ALO-780V.)

Cheers

Quote:

Thanks Pfillion!
How about the treble of HFI-780?
Is it smooth?
Does it have clear transparency?

Mar 23, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks Slwiser!

Well...HFI-780 is more detailed than ESW9?
As you, I don't think that as drawback, so one point for 780.
How about sound stage - which is wider?
Any opinion about seperation of sound?

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Thanks Slwiser!

Well...HFI-780 is more detailed than ESW9?
As you, I don't think that as drawback, so one point for 780.
How about sound stage - which is wider?
Any opinion about seperation of sound?

Stock soundstage of the 780s is OK but it gets better with a re-cable.
Both have a nice presentation of the sound image. I actually don't remember as much about the ESW9 soundstage to be make a detailed note about them.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 16
I have listened to the ATH-ESW9 on two ocassions, first it was boomana's pair and then vorlon1's pair. I believe boomana's has more burn-in that vorlon1's and IMO it shows. I found both to be warm and vorlon1's a bit congested/constricted, perhaps more burn-in will help it open up.

The HFI-780 by contrast is in your face kind of can. I also believe it needs massive amounts of burn-in. The HFI-780 isolate better but are much larger than the ATH-ESW9.

If I had to choose I would go with the HFI-780, it tends to get my foot tapping. Something the AT was not able to do.

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 16
Which of these two are more suited for classcal music (stock or re-cabled)? I had Alex re-cable my ESW9s and it removed a lot of the congestion (as best I can remember!). They still sound a little veiled on top sometimes even fuzzy especially with vocal (but that could be the particular recording.....listening with Sony EJ2000 --> sysconcept mini-mini --> iBasso D1 --> iBasso P2). There has been minimum burn-in on these cans.

Thoughts and opinions?

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which of these two are more suited for classcal music (stock or re-cabled)? I had Alex re-cable my ESW9s and it removed a lot of the congestion (as best I can remember!). They still sound a little veiled on top sometimes even fuzzy especially with vocal (but that could be the particular recording.....listening with Sony EJ2000 --> sysconcept mini-mini --> iBasso D1 --> iBasso P2). There has been minimum burn-in on these cans.

Thoughts and opinions?

Well I currently have a stock HFI-780, and it's good, but not great with classical IMHO. I only have the D2000 to compare, but out of the box, I prefer the D2000 string sound (more smooth, sweet sounding), while the 780 sound is a bit too aggressive. I've only reached near 200 hours burn-in on the 780 however, so still plenty of burn-in still left. (Probably can't afford even the cheap recable for a while unfortunately.)

Skylab has both the ESW9 and a recabled HFI-780, so he can probably help.

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by StormTracker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I currently have a stock HFI-780, and it's good, but not great with classical IMHO. I only have the D2000 to compare, but out of the box, I prefer the D2000 string sound (more smooth, sweet sounding), while the 780 sound is a bit too aggressive. I've only reached near 200 hours burn-in on the 780 however, so still plenty of burn-in still left. (Probably can't afford even the cheap recable for a while unfortunately.)

Skylab has both the ESW9 and a recabled HFI-780, so he can probably help.

Thanks so much, Storm. This helps. I was just hoping they were really were a good match with classical music.

Yes, it will be interesting to hear Skylab's opinion, but he's pretty busy on here!!! he may have bigger fish to fry!

I am looking forward to a well-isolating can for classical music (no IEMS or buds for me, please) that do not take up half my carry-on luggage when I fly. (Although if there is a really good non-folding isolating headphone, I'd consider it. I don't care how much more of an idiot I look in public since I do a pretty damn good job of that without wearing headphones!!!!) Does the D2000 fit the bill?

Sorry if this highjacks the thread a tad.

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 16
if you decide buying the HFI780, you might consider getting an ALO recabe mod. i've read that this mod makes them sound very close to the Ultrasone Edition 9 - a 1,500$ headphone!

just go and read about it in the ALO forum.

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you decide buying the HFI780, you might consider getting an ALO recabe mod. i've read that this mod makes them sound very close to the Ultrasone Edition 9 - a 1,500$ headphone!

just go and read about it in the ALO forum.

Are you saying this would make them right, proper and good for classical music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back