ATH-ESW10JPN or custom TF10 or UM Mage for Jazz?
Feb 22, 2010 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

milesandcoltrane

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys! I'm here again. After further research and some several hours of auditions, I've reformulated my options for portable and transportable listening for Jazz:

1. Audio Technica ATH-ESW10JPN

2. UE TF10 remolded into customs with 1 mid driver added

3. Unique Melody Mage quad driver customs

I've reasoned with myself that if I get the ATH-ESW10JPN, since isolation won't be optimal I can still use my Westone UM1 for listening on public transport when it can get really noisy. And use the ATH-ESW10JPN when I sit down at various places (libraries, quieter cafes etc.) or at home, when I can really appreciate the higher sound quality. Listening on public transport is really just to fill the time, and I don't listen very critically at these times anyway.

I've listened to ATH-ESW10JPN and have been falling in love with the sound and the aesthetics over some time. Though the price is a real pain in the butt.

Of all the high-end universal IEMs I've heard, I like the TF10 the best and I'm willing to go the custom route with the added driver to reap the full potential of these.

As for the UM Mage well if I'm gonna go the custom IEM route I might as well do it properly. In any case since I'd have to purchase the TF10s the Mages might surprisingly be the cheaper option for me. And from what I've read and heard I reckon the Mage is a better option.

Do let me know guys and girls. And so sorry for posting multiple variations of this theme. But I really want to be sure before I drop some cash on my next set of cans or IEMs.

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 7
unlimited: yeah based on recommendations I think the Mage would be better too. But from just a sound based perspective why wouldn't you want to compare it to the ESW10JPN?

Anyone else?

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 7
ESW10jpn has good good bass and treble, but better mids. Not sure where that puts it for jazz.
TF-10 has better highs and bass, okay mids; does the extra driver fix the mids?

As I understand about the mage. I hear are better mids, good bass and treble. (I'm just BSing about what people said about the mage)

If soundstage is a concern, then the esw10jpn gets the advantage. Then the TF-10 (well IEM version; no clue about custom; amazing how unexpected the TF10 soundstage is). I don't know where the mage goes there (don't have'm).

ESW10jpn loses in comfort; but isn't uncomfortable once you loosen the headband.
Still people claim customs can 'disappear' on your head; so they win in that aspect (if that is true).

I think it is matter of soundstage and comfort.
Unless you really want the cheapest route; I'd say get the TF-10 IEMs and just EQ the mids up.

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 7
Oh you can get a brand new pair of ESW10?

Audio Technica has discontinued the ESW10, and I don't think one can get any brand new of these in Japan, unless trying auction. So there are shops out there still having ESW10s brand new?

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unlimited: yeah based on recommendations I think the Mage would be better too. But from just a sound based perspective why wouldn't you want to compare it to the ESW10JPN?

Anyone else?

I have listened to it only once. So I'm not sure how they sound, it was long long time ago.
But I think if you look for a long term, maybe getting the ESW10JPN is better in case you want to sell it in the future
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Yeah, the ESW10JPN will have some pretty good resale value given it is a limited edition can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back