ATH-ES7 vs. Ultrasone HFI-450 (help needed)
May 13, 2010 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bbbbbbb

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've posted something similar but comparing 2 other sets of headphones.

Here is what I'm looking for:

Closed-back;

- Either over-the-ear or supra-aural;

- To be used un-amped, plugged into Mac or iPod (Apple Lossless files);

- Mostly jazz; also blues and classic rock;

- Around $100;

Good construction is a plus;

So, I've narrowed it down to the ES7 and the Ultrasone HFI-450. I've heard the first one is rather colored, which isn't really what I'm looking for, I wanted something with a more clear and natural sound. Other options are more than welcomed!

Thank's

May 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 10
Bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

bump 

May 14, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 10

ath-ES7 has a much closer sound as compared to the ath-50's. By closer i mean straight in your face whilst the 50's seem like sound coming from some feet away. Both r a solid bang for the buck. Shure-840's will need amping, if you dont want to amp, dont go that way..

May 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 10
be careful of counterfeit ES7's, I love the HFI-450's but I don't think they can compete with a genuine pair of ES7's and the A-T M50 get much respect around here. 

I'm thinking of the Denon AH-D1001's.... I've got them on at the moment listening to Manic Street Preachers. I don't know anything about the M50's but I'll throw in my D1001 suggestion. I've owned a few pairs in my time. I keep on buying a pair, selling them regretting it, and so i buy another pair, but these are here to stay. 

May 14, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 10
It has similar impedance (and power requirements) to my Sennheiser HD280's which for me run very well unamped with a mp3 player or computer. FWIR they are pretty easy to run you won't have to worry about being able to power them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back