ATH-ES7: very quick initial impressions
Dec 17, 2005 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bahamaman

1000+ Head-Fier
I ordered (and just received) these for my upcoming overseas trip. Given the proximity of my departure, I haven't the time to post pics. For those who would like to see some representative pictures, please see the following link:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=ATH-ES7

I believe these headphones have excellent potential. They are vaguely reminiscent of my ATH-A900s, though admittedly it has been awhile since I listened to/sold my A900s. One thing I really like is that I don't detect a certain "honky" midrange with the ES7s that troubled me with the A900s.

They seem to be very well balanced - a nice rounded bass, slightly forward but nevertheless pleasant mid-range, and nothing sibilant at all about the highs. I've burned them in for about 12 hours, but (frankly) I don't expect tons of improvement with more burn-in time (and that's not a bad thing).

Finally, they are exceptionally well made and are beautiful to look at.

There is only one problem and, for me, it is fatal. I have a large head. Maybe legendarily large. And the ATH-ES7s just don't fit. That is, they do not extend down far enough to be correctly positioned on my ears. How heartbreaking is that, because I truly think they could've been the answer in terms of a closed headphone that would work well for air travel.

Oh well, so close, but yet so far. I suppose I'll have to put these up for sale, given the fit problems. But, for someone with a normal-sized head, they should be fine. No, this is not a disguised F/S, especially since I'll not be back until early January.

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 8
Ah man, sorry to hear about the fit issues. The ES-7 sonically are very flawed for a lot of reasons, but I certainly like mine. Sounds like you like yours too but I can certainly see how someone with a large head could have issues.

Best regards,

-Jason

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 8
Excellent impressions Rob! Great to hear that this may be a can alot of us may be interested in! I will definitely consider this as a backup headphone for my k340
340smile.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 8
xand1x - thanks!

jjcha - just curious, what do you feel to be the ES-7s principal weakness? As I said in my original post, I feel they have some nice potential as a closed portable headphone.

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
jjcha - just curious, what do you feel to be the ES-7s principal weakness? As I said in my original post, I feel they have some nice potential as a closed portable headphone.

Broken treble, overly emphasized mid-bass, relatively 2d headstage (tho compared mainly to far more expensive cans) though the soundstage does expand beyond the drivers. Not particularly fast and lacking in transparency & detail.

But other than that they're pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif

Heh, seductive female vocals. Very smooth and effortless. I do like mine and right now they are my primary portable can.

Best,

-Jason

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 8
jjcha - indeed, as I listen to the vocals, they are very intoxicating!

Salt Peanuts - if I had some new Omega IIs, I wouldn't be in the market for portables. In fact, I would be trying to commit some heinous crime that would result in long term house arrest
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back