ATH-ES7 or Ultrasone DJ1 Pro?
Feb 1, 2008 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ludoo

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a closed phone to use while commuting/walking around, or at the office working on my computer. Sources will be (possibly using a Cmoy amp I have somewhere, but I would prefer not to use it) my D2, my Clix2 and the headphone port of a desktop or notebook.

My budget is enough to buy either an ES-7 or a DJ1 Pro, either new on ebay or used. I like the ATH sound (I have a CK-7 and an SJ-5), on the other hand Czilla's review of the DJ1 is pretty good, and I like its design and features. I mostly listen to reggae, african music, some jazz and blues, some latin.

Any suggestions?

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been very happy with my ATH ES7's and would recommend them highly. Have never regretted buying them.

How is the ES7 isolation?

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 18
Isolation is very good but not perfect. At normal to slightly loud listening you shouldn't disturb anyone nearby. I sould say that if those around you can hear your music you might just be listening at too high of a volume level. I really enjoy the ES7 for the price.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 18
I can only comment on the ES7's. I love them! Becareful if buying on Ebay. I have a thread on the forums here somewhere... A couple of us got scammed with fake ES7's. We got our money back though, and that particlular seller is no longer registered with Ebay.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by LonerGenius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isolation is very good but not perfect. At normal to slightly loud listening you shouldn't disturb anyone nearby. I sould say that if those around you can hear your music you might just be listening at too high of a volume level. I really enjoy the ES7 for the price.

I was more interested in isolation from outside noise, as I will use them on the bus, etc. But it's good to know that my coworkers won't be bothered by my music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieRat
Becareful if buying on Ebay. I have a thread on the forums here somewhere...

Thanks for the warning. I saw the thread a while ago, and the very helpful pictures that highlighted the differences between the real and fake ES7s. This seller is from japan, and has an almost perfect record. His ES7 look like the real thing, and the price is about right, not too cheap. Let's hope they're genuine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was more interested in isolation from outside noise, as I will use them on the bus, etc. But it's good to know that my coworkers won't be bothered by my music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the warning. I saw the thread a while ago, and the very helpful pictures that highlighted the differences between the real and fake ES7s. This seller is from japan, and has an almost perfect record. His ES7 look like the real thing, and the price is about right, not too cheap. Let's hope they're genuine.
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing to do is ask them if the carrying case is soft cloth or P-leather. At least in the fakes we received from the other seller the bag was thin pleather with printed logo.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 18
ES7's cut outside noise extremely well...I use them not only for music but also to ignore other people. I see their mouths moving but hear nothing...it's great.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 18
I would buy ES7s on Amazon or here, no worries then. Not everybody loves them, BTW. The mids were so forward and colored I had to sell them. I know I'm in the minority around here on this, but if you are sensitive to midrange coloration try them out first. They are esthetically beautiful with great bass and extended highs, but the snarly mids killed it for me.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by LonerGenius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ES7's cut outside noise extremely well...I use them not only for music but also to ignore other people. I see their mouths moving but hear nothing...it's great.

Thanks, that's exactly what I need them for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I'm in the minority around here on this, but if you are sensitive to midrange coloration try them out first. They are esthetically beautiful with great bass and extended highs, but the snarly mids killed it for me.

I don't think I will be able to find a pair to try here, but thanks for the useful advice. I guess I'll buy them, and resell if they're not to my taste.

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 18
If you can afford it the ESW9 is a pretty huge upgrade that is well worth the price difference imho (owning both the ES7 and the ESW9).

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PenDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can afford it the ESW9 is a pretty huge upgrade that is well worth the price difference imho (owning both the ES7 and the ESW9).

I saw a few pictures of the ESW9 around here, and it looks HUGE. I will use the new phone when commuting, and the ESW9 looks a but funny for that... But maybe I'm mistaken...

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PenDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

could you possibly elaborate? is every aspect just a step up?

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw a few pictures of the ESW9 around here, and it looks HUGE. I will use the new phone when commuting, and the ESW9 looks a but funny for that... But maybe I'm mistaken...

You are mistaken. They are about the same size - maybe a bit deeper due to the more comfortable leather ear pads. If anything they call attention to themselves less than the ES7s, as they are darker and less shiny - that is a large mirror area glinting away on the ES7s.

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by acegazda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you possibly elaborate? is every aspect just a step up?

Sound is better in every way - more refined in the mids, deeper and more controlled bass, better sound stage. They are also more comfortable than the ES7s, due to better padding on the headband and earpads. I think they are a substantial upgrade as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back