ATH-ES7 or Sony 7506 or Denon D1001?
Feb 16, 2009 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

regnad kcin

New Head-Fier
I'm wanting to buy a decent pair of circumaurals within the $100-ish range. I listen to a lot of different styles, but the majority is jazz.

These headphones will be for listening to an iPod in fairly noisy environments, so open or semi-open headphones are not going to be good.

I'm leaning toward either ATH-ES7s or Sony 7506s or Denon D1001s.

My fears are too much sibilence with the Sonys, and crappy wiring that will split with the Denons and ATs.

Are these good choices? Are my fears founded? What would you recommend?

Thanks hugely in advance for your help!!
icon10.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 26
Given at $100-ish price range, I'd say the Denon AH-D1001 is the best choice.
It's really light, 180g in weight. It's a closed headphone and circum-aural (around your ear). Its low 32ohm impedance means you don't really need an expensive amp to power them. It's the best choice in overall comfort + sound quality at its list price ~ $99.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiramisu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really light, 180g in weight. It's a closed headphone and circum-aural (around your ear). Its low 32ohm impedance means you don't really need an expensive amp to power them. It's the best choice in overall comfort + sound quality at its list price ~ $99.

Ditto

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiramisu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X2, except the AHD1001's list price is $150. You can often find it for $100-$110 though.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by regnad kcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... My fears are [...] crappy wiring that will split with the Denons and ATs.

... Are my fears founded? What would you recommend?

You've said this a few times on this board. Why do you think the Denons and/or ATH's have crappy wiring? People talk about recabling the AHD1001s all the time, but its not because the wiring is going to fall apart, its because those cans have great drivers, but are held back by a relatively low quality cable and recabling drastically improves SQ (FWIR at least). I've yet to hear of an AHD1001 having wiring problems. I know I've snagged them pretty hard a few times and they don't have any issues with it.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 26
Cable on my D1001 got accidentally jerked. Now my right channel is out. I don't know if this means anything about the build quality. I wouldn't say the cables are robust. I'll take it as an excuse for me to have them recabled.
normal_smile .gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 26
I've been comparing the Denons with the ATH-ES7 and I think the Denon's win out in every category except portability, where the ES7 can swivel.

However, bear this in mind: to get a pair of Denons from an authorized dealer will, as far as I can see, set you back $149. But you can easily get a pair of ES7s for around $100 from an authorized dealer.

If you're happy to run the risk of not having your warranty honored by Denon, get them.

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 26
Neither of those three 'phones mentioned isolate well at all. If you're looking for decent isolation and better all-around sound, check out ATH-M50. They are a bit more expensive than the three aforementioned cans, but are definitely worth the slightly higher price tag, IMO.They have a very balanced, smooth, full and well extended sound, from deep lows to sparkling highs and also have zero sibilance.

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 26
There's 2 ways to look at the authorized dealer situation.

1) Paying an extra $50 on a $100 item just for the *possibility* you might need the warranty *and* that Denon will stiff you is a bit steep. Buying from a reliable online reseller with a good return policy can sometime be easier than dealing with the "authorized" return process.

2) Paying $50 to have no warranty issues is a pretty small price to pay, and you also have the satisfaction of knowing that the gray market isn't being supported. Denon is pretty well-known for being hard-@ssed about warranty support, so in order to get their support you really need to buy from an authorized dealer or be willing to spin a good story.

They're your dice and it's your roll...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fromthelane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been comparing the Denons with the ATH-ES7 and I think the Denon's win out in every category except portability, where the ES7 can swivel.

However, bear this in mind: to get a pair of Denons from an authorized dealer will, as far as I can see, set you back $149. But you can easily get a pair of ES7s for around $100 from an authorized dealer.

If you're happy to run the risk of not having your warranty honored by Denon, get them.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Which Authorized dealer sell ES7 for around $100? are you sure they are authorized dealers? the cheapest I found from an Authorized dealer is $169~

ES7 has a very fun sound, I replaced my ESW9 with ES7 because of that. it look real good and very portable.
The mid-range isnt very open, but treble and bass are really good, which makes it sound very similar to Grado, but opposite to Sennheiser~
D1001 is good too, but is pretty big to use as a portable...IMO~

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 26
I have used both the Sony V6 and Denon 1001. The Denon would be better suited for Jazz and probably better for a wider range of music. However, as has been mentioned above, they have poor isolation and would not be very useful in noisy environments.

The Sony V6 would be a good choice for you if you do not mind the slightly prominent highs. They'll be adequately driven by your iPod.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

How portable are the ATH-M50? They look very bulky in the pictures I've seen.

Well, they are not very bulky for me and I use them portably all the time now. They are just a bit bigger and heavier than Sony V6, but not by much. They are also pretty comfy. Look at these pics to get a good idea of what ATH-M50s look like, including when worn.

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you think the Denons and/or ATH's have crappy wiring? People talk about recabling the AHD1001s all the time, but its not because the wiring is going to fall apart, its because those cans have great drivers, but are held back by a relatively low quality cable and recabling drastically improves SQ (FWIR at least).

I say this because the connection points appear weak and the cable itself is very thin. It seems no better, or perhaps worse, than a pair of Senn PX100s I had that split at both can connections within a year. It's not based on anything other than not wanting to repeat that.

What's involved in rewiring a pair of headphones? How does rewiring compare to buying a pair of headphones that are properly wired to begin with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back