ATH-ES7 or MDR-V6/7506 or ???, Opinions?
Jul 12, 2008 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rokin

New Head-Fier
After discovering this forum and reading thread after thread, I'm in the market for a pair of headphones generally for travel (on the tube) to upgrade from my 7 year old MDR-EX70LPs. I don't want in ear phones but I'd like something that's fairly discrete (doesn't stick out from the side of my head too much) but also comfortable, has fairly good isolation and can be driven by a Sansa Clip.

I'm currently deciding between the Audio Technica ES7s and the Sony MDR-V6(or MDR 7506) as my budget is around £80-£100. I would be open to suggestions about other models though.

I was just wondering what peoples opinions are on them are. I know there are many posts about each one but I can't seem to find any on a comparison. I mainly listen to what comes under the umbrella of rock music but do listen to other genres on occasion.

How does the sound quality compare between the two? I've read the ES7s are top notch but I'm concerned about them sticking out loads and clamping my head too much! With the Sonys it's the opposite, I think they'll be comfortable and look OK but how does the sound compare the the ES7s?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!!

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 10
The ES7's are actually pretty small and subdued headphones that don't stand out at all, especially if you adjust them out of the box to conform to your head shape properly. I find that it handles most types of rock music well because it's a forward phone with quite a bit of attack, and the treble is pretty as well.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 10
Yeah, as an ES7 owner too, I also find they are fine with rock music. I also agree, they are quite small, so should not be a problem at all.

Have not owned or listened to the Sony's so can't help ya there.
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks 3X0, I read about the mod to reshape the ES7s which looks like it helps a lot!

Would it be worth upping my budget a bit for the Sennheiser HD25-1's? These look pretty small, comfortable and durable, which is always a good thing! My only concern is whether they will be able to driven by the Sansa Clip?

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rokin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks 3X0, I read about the mod to reshape the ES7s which looks like it helps a lot!

Would it be worth upping my budget a bit for the Sennheiser HD25-1's? These look pretty small, comfortable and durable, which is always a good thing! My only concern is whether they will be able to driven by the Sansa Clip?

They (HD25-1) certainly are compact, isolates well, sound great, are very easy to drive and are near indestructable; but definitely not the most comfortable phones around. Also might stick out a bit because of the way the element capsules are designed. I've not heard the ES7s but they do look like nice phones. I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 10
Don't get the Sony's, their sibilance will hurt you!

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get the Sony's, their sibilance will hurt you!

I don't know how much you must've been turning up your volume.. Either that or you got a defective pair. At reasonable volume levels there's a little sibilance at best. We all know this is a bright headphone to begin with.

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 10
Yeah I don't like bright headphones, sorry
wink.gif
. I think I tried turning my volume up because I want bassssssssssssssss and there is hardly any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back