ATH ES7 or A900?
May 5, 2007 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Lamprologus

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for a closed can and thought I might try Audio Technica. I currently have Beyer 250/80, Sennheiser HD 280 and Sennheiser HD 25 (in addition to a number of open cans incl. K701, Senn 600, 580, Beyer 880 but I do most of my listening in bed and I don't want to disturb the wife, hence the interest in closed phones). Sennheiser HD 25 is my favourite among the three but I also enjoy the Beyer 250 due to it's wider soundstage. The perfect closed can would combine the virtues of these two phones. I have tried to read as much as I can about ATH ES7 and A900 but I can't decide on which one is right for me.

So please, anyone who has compared these or can relate the sound of either of these to my current phones?

May 6, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 10
The two are fairly different from each other. The A900 has a recessed mid-range (pretty noticeable actually) whereas the ES7 has a very full mid-range. I'd also the call the ES7 the more versatile headphone. I was never very impressed by the A900 - it was speedy alright, with a good attack as well, with good deep bass, but its lack of mids made it sound not very engaging.

May 6, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks, most speakers with a recessed midrange fail to engage me so I assume it would be the same with head phones. Seems like ES7 might be the best option for me, it's also easier to find in Sweden than A900. AT is almost impossible to find in Sweden, ES7 is an exception as it's available through Apple Stores.

May 6, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 10
I agree with Asr. I'm not a big fan of the A900 due to its sucked-out midrange. It just doesn't sound good to me.

But what's wrong with your HD25-1?

Best regards,

-Jason

May 6, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Well, I do like my HD25-1 for what they do well. They are my favourite among all my cans, Beyer 250-80 being my second choice. There is something about closed cans that I don't get with open cans, for some reason I find my music to become more engaging when I use a good closed can.

But I would like a wider and deeper soundstage, than the rather narrow soundstage the HD25-1 presents.

May 6, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 10
I wouldn't say the ES7 or the A900 have particularly wide soundstages.... but most closed headphone's don't. I guess the king of soundstage that's semi-closed is the R10. I don't remember, but I think the CD3000 also has a fairly expansive soundstage.

The audio-technica's do okay soundstage wise, but they're fairly narrow compared to open headphones or the aforementioned. Further, the ES7 and A900 aren't the strongest ones out of the family. For soundstage, I guess I'd get an ATH-L3000...

But I don't know too much about other closed cans, like Byers or Ultrasone.

Best,

-Jason

May 6, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 10
L3000 ..... sounds expensive. But thank's for the insight on ES7 and A900, that was very helpful. By the way, is the W-series very different from the L-series?

May 17, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 10
Well... ... they are in fact...

the L stands for leather, and the W stands for wood!...
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L3000 ..... sounds expensive. But thank's for the insight on ES7 and A900, that was very helpful. By the way, is the W-series very different from the L-series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back