ATH-ES7: Any good?
Mar 7, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 31
Great SQ wise. They lack some high end detail of my Grado SR60s. I also had to bend them a bit because they clamped on my head a little tight.

For a closed portable headphone for 110 dollars I think it's the best in the marketplace.

Now if you don't need a closed portable headphone there are other options.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 31
When I was looking for headphones I was focused on three: Ultrasone HFI-580, Audio Technica ES7 and Denon AHD1001's.

I think the sound would have been best with the Ultrasone's (lots of bass and high treble [some say too overpowering]) but it was suggested to do a 300 hour burn in time to tame the highs and it had a 15 foot long cable, which is far from portable.

Then it was narrowed down the to ES7 and D1001. I ended up going with the D1001 because the comfort is much better (wearing them right and now and barely feel them) and because the D1001's looked like they held up a bit better =233&graphID[]=163]Frequency Charts of D1001 vs ES7

Overall, I quite like the D1001. When I first got them I was unimpressed (click here for my thread about that) but after 25 hours of burn in they really started coming out and I'm now above 50 hours and they sound great. I would suggest getting an amp (I'll be buying a FiiO E5 for $25 soon). Straight out of an iPod, the bass is kind of weak, but when plugged into a computer, it sounds tons better. I'm hoping an amp will be the same or better as plugging it in the computer.

Hope this helped
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fghtffyrobesity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was looking for headphones I was focused on three: Ultrasone HFI-580, Audio Technica ES7 and Denon AHD1001's.

I think the sound would have been best with the Ultrasone's (lots of bass and high treble [some say too overpowering]) but it was suggested to do a 300 hour burn in time to tame the highs and it had a 15 foot long cable, which is far from portable.

Then it was narrowed down the to ES7 and D1001. I ended up going with the D1001 because the comfort is much better (wearing them right and now and barely feel them) and because the D1001's looked like they held up a bit better =233&graphID[]=163]Frequency Charts of D1001 vs ES7

Overall, I quite like the D1001. When I first got them I was unimpressed (click here for my thread about that) but after 25 hours of burn in they really started coming out and I'm now above 50 hours and they sound great. I would suggest getting an amp (I'll be buying a FiiO E5 for $25 soon). Straight out of an iPod, the bass is kind of weak, but when plugged into a computer, it sounds tons better. I'm hoping an amp will be the same or better as plugging it in the computer.

Hope this helped
smily_headphones1.gif

That's some pretty good help there
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 31
Isnt D1001, about nearly double the price of the ES7?

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 31
btw, there's a big comparison of closed headphones including ES7 and D1000 (same as d1001) that skylab did.... that might be helpful... note that D1001 are closed headphones but do not isolate at all from what i heard...

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isnt D1001, about nearly double the price of the ES7?

I bought my D1001's from HeadRoom for $99.99 with shipping. They are also a authorized dealer, unlike many places where you buy them. Denon is very picky with their warranties and won't replace anything unless it was through an authorized dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, there's a big comparison of closed headphones including ES7 and D1000 (same as d1001) that skylab did.... that might be helpful... note that D1001 are closed headphones but do not isolate at all from what i heard...

Skylabs review can be found here and yes, the isolation is quite poor with the D1001's, but I like that because I use them in class and if a teacher talks to me, I don't have to worry about not hearing them, but if you were on a bus or something noisy, it could be a problem

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 31
I have ES7 and has good sound; isolation is so-so but hardly any music can be heard by others. They look expensive with the black mirrors and the AudioTechnica name on each cup so need to be aware of area (someone else here reported getting mugged too) you're in. I bought the Senn 25-1 MkII for $185 that sound better and have better isolation and comfort (with stretching a few hrs) but look like they came from a K-Mart blue light special so don't have to worry about them getting snatched. Reversed the cups and can wear them in the rain which I wouldn't do with ES7's - they look to nice.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have ES7 and has good sound; isolation is so-so but hardly any music can be heard by others. They look expensive with the black mirrors and the AudioTechnica name on each cup so need to be aware of area (someone else here reported getting mugged too) you're in. I bought the Senn 25-1 MkII for $185 that sound better and have better isolation and comfort (with stretching a few hrs) but look like they came from a K-Mart blue light special so don't have to worry about them getting snatched. Reversed the cups and can wear them in the rain which I wouldn't do with ES7's - they look to nice.

About the ES7 sound: Would you agree with Skylab's review comparison with the other 4 headphones?

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the ES7 sound: Would you agree with Skylab's review comparison with the other 4 headphones?

Can you post the link?

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 31
thats a matter of opinion. i prefer the d1001 as far as looks go. the es7 is a finger print magnet. the denon is more elegant while the es7 is more flashy and is good if you need a built in mirror on your headphones.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #14 of 31
the only prices i saw of D1001 is $141 USD :p on ebay. so i think that is about double the price of the ES7 which is only $160 AUD. haha

but yeah headroom does international as well thats awesome... didnt know they did that and/or that cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back