ATH-EM700 Series Flash!
Aug 19, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #17 of 33
Good point.

That being said, it was a common agreement that the em7's definately lacked bass whereas there were mixed opinions about the ew9.

the new 700 series by Audio technica are quite new, and nobody seems to have said much about them, so i'm just one curious person
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #18 of 33
I'm in the lacked bass category for both. Although there was some nice detail to be had, it was lost in portable use. The go vibe gave a bit more omph to the ew9's bottom end, but it barely had a bottom end to give omph to. They were beautiful though.

Aug 19, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #19 of 33
hmm... then why was koss able to suceed in areas that AT wasn't able to?

lol, well the CM7Ti + Hybrid foamies gives roughly ~ 50-70% of the bass of ksc75, which is perfectly acceptable for an earbud, as for the ew9... if it doesn't even have 20% on koss, i may have to rethink my purchase
basshead.gif

Curious about these EM700's though, AT claim them to be using new 28mm drivers, i wouldn't be surprised if *new* meant EM7 drivers in a new housing though =P

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #20 of 33
I think the EM700Ti sounds good. I used to have the EW9, and didn't like it because it fitted too loosely on my ears and lacked bass. The EM700Ti's clip mechanism feels different and clamps more firmly onto my ears. There is more force pressing the drivers inward. The driver housings are very light. The clamps did make my ears a bit sore after wearing them for over 20 minutes. I think the EM700Ti's comfort and sound quality is somewhat dependent on the shape and size of one's ears.

It is very clear-sounding, with impressively smooth, crystal highs and midrange. Clarity-wise, the EM700Ti is closer to full-size headphones than the earbud CM700Ti. It also sounds surprisingly open with a larger than expected headstage and soundstage.

What about the bass? I think it has more bass than the EW9 (I'll try to do a direct comparison soon). It doesn't have the quantity the Koss KSC-75 has, and could never be characterized as a bassy. Similar to the EW9, I feel the EM700Ti is more suitable for classical, jazz, easy listening, vocals and some other less-bassy music. I wouldn't use them for fast-paced electronica.

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with the EM700Ti and intend to keep it.

Aug 20, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #21 of 33
ahhh... well then.. thats certainly clears things up.

I look forward to your comparison =)

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #23 of 33
That would certainly be ideal lol.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
I mean the design of AT with the price of KOSS.
very_evil_smiley.gif

i wish it were possible but understanding how much machined parts and the AT quality costs, it's likely not possible. koss did place their BOM costs on the right part of the cans, the drivers whereas AT probably put more emphasis on looks and feeling.

Aug 22, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #28 of 33
do the ew9's really only have 10% of the bass of the KSC75?

Aug 26, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #29 of 33
Oh one more question Lord Elephas,

besides my ongoing question about bass, did the EM700's clips hurt after 20 mins because they exerted too much pressure inwards onto your ear? or did they hurt your ear because the clips are too tight? (and thus hurting the back/rim of your ear)

Many thanks for taking your time to answer my questions!

Aug 27, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #30 of 33
The EM700Ti clips are not very tight. The clips made the top part of my right ear, where the clips rest on, a bit sore after a few minutes. It only happens with my right ear, though. The left ear feels fine, actually very comfortable. And please, no "Lord."
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had the chance to compare the EM700Ti with the EW9. I prefer the EW9, which has a more balanced sound, better tonality and smoother treble. Its soundstage is also larger. Both have a similar amount of bass, which is to say not much at all. Both have a surprising amount of air and with crisp and clear mids and treble. The EM700Ti is still new, while the EW9 has many hours. Hopefully the EM700Ti will improve with burn-in.

I listened to both using foobar > RME 9632 > Chord DAC64 > AT-HA5000.

The EM700Ti has greater clamping force than the EW9. The rubber part of the clips are different. The EW9's body is much thicker. Their diameters are about the same. The EW9 has an uneven cord (right side behind the neck). It is very short for use with remote controls or for hanging a player around the neck. The EW9 plug is larger and looks much better than the EM700Ti's. The EM700Ti has a Y cord about a meter in length. It comes with a black cloth pouch but no extension cord.

EM700TiEW9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back