ATH-EC7 or MDR-E888
Jan 19, 2005 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cerith

Head-Fier
First time post. Looking for some advice. I have a Sony VGF-AP1L and am currently using Sony EX71's with the player. I am looking to upgrade to better sounding phones and have narrowed my search to the ATH-EC7 or the MDR-E888SP. I like earbuds better than the in ear phones so I ruled out the Shure's and Ety's. Everything I have read seems to indicate that the 888's sound is stellar. I have not found a whole lot of info on the EC7's, although most owners seem to like them. My concern is on the fragility of the 888's. I am very careful with my things and keep them in cases when not in use. I do not have an unlimited budget to replace equipment frequently so I need these to last. The EC7's looked to be better made and more robust. I do not, however, want to trade off to much sound quality for better build.

I also like the looks of the EC7's and feel the clip may hold them more comfortably in my ear.

Any advice from owners of these two? Just how fragile are the 888's and do these two compare sound quality wise.

Thanks

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 9
Get the A-T.

I found the Sony E888s to produce nasty midrange distortion at higher volumes. I have the lower end aluminum A-T earbuds and they're MUCH better than the E888s IMO. And these things are supposed to be even better than what I have now.

The E888s are pretty fragile as well (I've busted my third pair before moving on in a matter of two-three years) and the drivers supposedly sound worse over time.

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the input, the fragility of the Sony's worries me so I think I will give the ATH-EC7's a go. I was leaning toward them in the first place.

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 9
although i've never heard the e888, i still want to recommend the ec7. if you're worried about fragility, the ec7 is must more robust than it actually looks in pictures. the whole structure is quite sturdy and the hook stabilizes the buds in your ears in addition to helping to hold the bud further in your ear for slightly better isolation than most other buds i've tried.

Jan 19, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 9
I ordered the EC7's from Audio Cubes. Will post thoughts when they arrive. Thanks again for the input.

I only wish more of these asian products would be available here in the US. It would be so much better if you could actually see and try out the gear first. Deciding from pictures and comments is not as intuitive as comparing them next to each other in living molecules.

Jan 20, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 9
I know this is like the least-helpful reply ever, but if you ever get to Japan, you'll find Audiotechnica stuff at every single electronics store you encounter. The prices aren't that exorbitant if you buy them online though, from what I saw.

I have a set of ATH-CM7ti that I picked up from Audiocubes last year and when I was in Akihabara last month I saw them there. The price didn't make me weep.

Oh, BTW, I have the MDR-E888 and have been a firm believer in them since the mid-nineties. My original pair is broken, however. I guess one could call them "fragile". The ATH-CM7ti don't sound any better to me than they do though. What with iPods sounding like ABSOLUTE CRAP anyhow, I've long since given up on being satisfied with portable sound.

If only my D-777 discman weren't all screwed up. That sucker served me well from 1996 through 2002.
frown.gif

I have an iPod mini. May Apple rot in hell.

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by eslai
I know this is like the least-helpful reply ever, but if you ever get to Japan, you'll find Audiotechnica stuff at every single electronics store you encounter. The prices aren't that exorbitant if you buy them online though, from what I saw.

I have a set of ATH-CM7ti that I picked up from Audiocubes last year and when I was in Akihabara last month I saw them there. The price didn't make me weep.

Oh, BTW, I have the MDR-E888 and have been a firm believer in them since the mid-nineties. My original pair is broken, however. I guess one could call them "fragile". The ATH-CM7ti don't sound any better to me than they do though. What with iPods sounding like ABSOLUTE CRAP anyhow, I've long since given up on being satisfied with portable sound.

If only my D-777 discman weren't all screwed up. That sucker served me well from 1996 through 2002.
frown.gif

I have an iPod mini. May Apple rot in hell.

Really? That's a disappointment since I was considering buying the ATH-CM7Ti as an affordable upgrade (clarity/detail speaking) over the E888s.

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 9
I like the ATH-CM7s better than the E888s... figuring that the EC7s can't sound any worse, and looks much better, the only reason I'd have to not get them is the cost.

Which is a pretty valid reason...

~KS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back