ATH-DCL3000 review update!
Nov 11, 2005 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sfxjames

100+ Head-Fier
This is just a an updated review on ATH-DCL3000. I have stated that they do sound great, but when I did another this time careful comparison between them and the stock wireless ones I found the two to be somewhat different.

Out of the box seem very warm, the do require burn-in perhaps.
On the ears they sound okay the volume can be played pretty loud.
They do sound somewhat far away however there seems to be weakness.
The are very comfortable on the ears good for long listening sessions.

The batteries take about 8 hours or more to charge.
and they come with there own seperate charger you plug in the wall.

From watching Revenge Of The Sith I did acually noticed that the two headphone started to behave very differently and now I'm starting to realize what Takashi was talking about when mentioned the hollowness and the increased distance of sound from DCL3000s

In the first scene you can here the slight trail of strings infront and than the deep bass sounds fade off, then as we enter onto the command ship you hear an inaudible high pitch sound coming somewhere inback of you than from the left rear you can hear the sound of ships passing from back left to front but when you follow the ships along the music so much more infront that it's presence seems to lose itself in the direction of the screen there is a lack of detail when it comes to hearing the slight seperation of strings swinging around. The seperation is not very apparent and sounds are somewhat muffled THERE ACTUALLY IS A LACK OF DETAIL.

Stock wireless phones

You can hear a much clearer sound with a loss of bass, not much of soundstage but you can hear everything much more detailed, even the dialogue sounds like it's coming from solidly infront. In the first scene you hear the strings trail off like their infront of you with some instrument sound seeming almost inback of the screen (which totally suprised me), than entering onto the command ship you here the lack of bass, but the high pitch sound is so detailed you can allocate it to the rear left much more clearly, than you hear the ship fly infront, than as the camera follows there descent you can here strings swing around with a degree of seperation so perfect it reminds me more of being in the theater the difference almost left me breathless to point of make me quickly take off the headphone and try the others. When hereing oddballs thusters trail of infront of the screen you can hear them with them with better seperation in that they sound a bit more right and left. The only thing missing was lack of bass but everything seemed perfect. The diolague was much more directional almost to the point of making my ears cry.

Than hearing it again on DCL3000 you do notice a deeper bass but a lack of seperation with that same scene. At first you hear the high pitch sound inback of you but you can't allocate to sound rear left, more between rear left and rear center. Than as well see the ship descend onto the surface we can hear a sound strings swinging around but more muffled sounding as if the strings were cramped together. Again a you hear them as if there further away but you lose that natural seperation, how music flows from right to left as if saying it's there and not to be ignored.

So when it comes to hearing detail and that natural seperation of instruments the stock wireless headphone actually do a pretty good job.

The DCL3000's are going to going on the shelf soon.

In short hang on audio-technica wireless fans, the DCL3000 have there short-comings. They DO LACK DETAIL to the point of not imaging music as detail as a stock wireless phone.

NOW I AM DESTINED TO TRY ANOTHER HEADPHONE.

Either the HD595 DT770 or A900.

Nov 11, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 2
Why am I not surprised?
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back