ATH-CM7 - are there ways to improve the comfort?
Nov 16, 2006 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought these buds about a month ago, sound terrific, but there is that nagging issue of comfort. The rigid aluminum has no give whatsoever and they just feel like there are two sticks sitting on my ears. I do have the provided foamies on them, but that doesn't seem to help a lot. Are there other foamies out there that are actually more comfortable than the typcial ones you get at Radio Shack or wherever? I don't want the sound compromised, though.........

Nov 16, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy
I bought these buds about a month ago, sound terrific, but there is that nagging issue of comfort. The rigid aluminum has no give whatsoever and they just feel like there are two sticks sitting on my ears. I do have the provided foamies on them, but that doesn't seem to help a lot. Are there other foamies out there that are actually more comfortable than the typcial ones you get at Radio Shack or wherever? I don't want the sound compromised, though.........

When I had them (Lol, many of them! Went crazy in Japan and bought like four or five pairs because I thought they "looked cool" and that I couldn't get them in the states
redface.gif
. At least I got a good price), I used the foamies off my pair of Creative EP-480 earbuds. The comfort was unbelievable but I took them on and off too many times so eventually the opening got too big and they fell off. If you leave them on though, I suspect they will last quite long.

Nov 16, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks - so you're saying I need to get a set of EP-480 buds? I'll look into the economics of that......

Nov 17, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 7
You need to purchase thicker aftermarket foamies, that makes the bass stronger, however you'll lose quite a bit of the trebles by using a thicker foam cover (vs the stock foamies).

So When u do get your thicker foamies, be sure to cut a hole in the pads to let out the highs. Make sure it is sufficiently large so that those:

\ | /
- -
/ | \

holes on the titanium diaphragm cover do not get covered up.

Thicker foamies = better seal, increased bass response & quantity, warmer sound signature
Thicker foamies + hole in the middle = /\ + OMG CRYSTAL HIGHS! =)

RadioShack foamies will do, in fact any other foamie not labelled as "CM7 Stock foamies" will be thicker and hence more comfortable. I actually found a few good foamies that came with my mobile phone handsfree set and used those lol.

Cheers.

Edit: Also try rotating the head of the earphone in a different orientation. I found a sweetspot for mine (the notch facing up), and that made it very comfy with foamies. Earbuds are unfortunately fit dependant for SQ lol.

Nov 17, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #5 of 7
I never had a comfort issue, but the earbuds were simply too big for my ears and would fall out.

Nov 17, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 7
I second the the use of the Radio Shack foamies. I use one of those on my right side... its weird, my right ear hole is larger than my left.

Nov 17, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for all your suggestions. I did end up selling these, just wasn't working out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back