ATH-CKS70 vs. MDR-XB40EX vs. ?
Oct 26, 2009 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about getting the ATH-CKS70 but seeing as how they are meant to compete with Sony's XB series, how do they compare? My guess is the Sonys are awfully muddy but maybe not.

I'm just looking for IEMs with bass you can "feel" for over no more than $90. However, one thing common with bassy phones is the mids can be muddy or the highs can be extremely sibilant to stand out and I don't want that. The Sonys would be nice considering they can be found at Best Buy. Overall though I think the ATs are best.

Oh, and bass needs to be accurate not just boomy.

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 3
I've been dying to try the cks70 too.......but I tried the sony xb40ex and I'm not impressed. Bass ain't as heavy as I wanted it to be, not very punchy either.

I hope the cks70 will do much better.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 3
I have been a long-time IEM resistance member due to the squirmy icky feeling from them in my ears, but I must have fell asleep next to a pod the other day. As if watching myself from afar, I found myself buying these Sony's and still haven't returned them. (I guess $35 total helped)

There's not too many threads about them here, having been eclipsed in rep by the CKS70's, but in combination with some EQ tweaking, these sound fantastic. (EQ/"Rock" on my iPod has a good balance of bass/treble with these) However, I will echo the complaint of the brushed aluminum being too weighty without earclip assistance. The largest set among the three sizes of included ear cushions ("L" - sky blue) still begin to slip out of my (clean!) ears during a jog from the weight of the individual channel cords when the main cord is even clipped high to a lapel.

Amusingly, the only additional size offered ("SS" - red, in the EP-EX10A cushion set) is smaller than the smallest set included! (This seems to echo the shoe width differences from one side of the pacific to the other) Still, they're certainly beyond my expectations and prior experience with IEMs having little bass response. I'm glad to see the brands are now addressing this. Seeing "EXTRA BASS" plastered on packaging has me trying to get over the squirm again.

Ironically, I'm wishing for a more snug fit with some as yet non-existant "XL" cushions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back