ATH CKM50s - first impressions
Jun 24, 2008 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Ninety

New Head-Fier
Firstly, hello - it's been some time since I posted and then I think it was only twice.

So I was there in the new Apple shop in Sydney, having a look around, seeing what all the fuss was about when I noticed some ATs in the headphone section. I'm a sucker for anything Japanese and I'd been thinking about getting some different IEMs for a while (I've been using FX33 Marshmallows w/Shure black olives since my V-Moda Bass Freqs broke) so I checked them out on the (free) internet upstairs and found out they were the same price ($80) as on Audiocubes.

The phones look very similar to Sony ex85s - like an earbud with a growth on it. I find them pretty comfortable to wear as a result; the silicone sleeves are soft (much softer than black olives) and it seems as though they don't need forcing into my ears as much as my last two pairs of phones.

Straight out of the box, I was pretty pleased. The bass was well controlled, mids were nice and clear, sound isolation is good (enough for me) though the highs were a bit harsh.

The more I've listened to them (about 15 hours now) I'm happy to say that the highs are calming down nicely. In all they seem very well balanced - they're capable of deep bass, but I've not yet found it overwhelming. In my opinion, they're much better than both my FX33s and Bass Freqs - I find them clearer than the FX33s and much more detailed in the midrange, while they sound more open (?) than both my old phones (by that I mean they sound less like you're wearing earphones at all and that the sound is just sort of, well, there) and I'm hearing bits of music I didn't know were there. Then again, I suppose they should be better as they're newer and they cost more...

Overall I'm really pleased I forked out a bit of cash on them. They keep getting better and I feel they've been good value. However, the cable is IMO pretty rubbish: it's really thin and I'm concerned it won't last too long at the jack end (where it enters the jack and bends) as well as having bad, what I think are called, microphonics (when you're walking and it rubs on your jacket and you hear it? Well, that's quite bad). I think a tie clip is in order.

I don't know if that's any use to anyone or not, but I hope so. Sorry I couldn't compare them to any more popular phones at the price like Sennheiser CX300/400, but I've not heard them and apologies if it's not a great review.

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 21
I'm glad that you're enjoying the CKM50's. In my opinion, they represent excellent value. Nice crisp highs, decent mids and deep, musical bass. They sound much better than all competing brands in its price range.

About the only thing that bugged me was that the weird off-set driver housing caused some pain in my ears after about 15 minutes or so, and that the lack of isolation made it unsuitable for commuting on public transport.

I use it sometimes in the office though - I can still hear the phone ring!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 21
I have heard only good things about these. I was waiting for the higher ones to come out like the CKM70 and CKM90.

They should be coming out by the end of July.

audio-technicaF»•iî•ñ ATH-CKM70

audio-technicaF»•iî•ñ ATH-CKM90

AT doesn't seem to want to go past the 7 series with dynamics and goes to armatures. Wonder if they will be like the CK7 and CK9 where more people like the 7 better than the more expensive 9 series. Hopefully they will surpass the SQ of the CK7 and CK9. They both look quite nice IMO.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 21
I've found the offset driver thing to be pretty comfortable - it seems to take some of the load off the earplug part of the phones. That said, I've got quite big ears, so I can see how it could go the other way for some people.

Likewise the isolation - it's good enough that I don't have to use stupid levels to hear my music over the traffic, but it also lets me hear whether or not I'm going to get run over!

Still not happy about the cable though...

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 21
I think I'm correct in assuming that they can't be worn over the ear(unless L and R is switched). Over the ear would fix the microphonics. Maybe they will come up with a swivel idea so you can twist the sound tube to be worn both ways and also fit ears better. I had the CK6 that could interchange and twist parts around to fit better.

Light, thin cables are better for me, as long as they hold up. Even heavy cables like the Shure can have problems. Hopefully they will hold up fine.

And good impressions BTW, Ninety! We do need more on the AT earphones that we don't seem to hear about around here.

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 21
Thanks jant71. It looks as though the tubes are fixed, so there's no over the ear option (with the CK6 it's just a case of changing which side the loop sits on?).

The cable isn't so much of a problem when the extension's not being used (I'm going to pick up/make up a shorter one), but then the "proper" cable is going straight into my player and the wire's getting bent around at the plug (this is where my V-Modas went, though the socket on my player at the time was perpendicular to the player's longest axis, which exacerbated the problem). I hope it stands up as I love the things!

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 21
Are the CKM50's better sounding than the audio technica ck7's?

What about the CKM70?

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 21
I ordered the CKM70's last friday, and should have them sometime this week.
I will post my opinions of them when they arrive, however I only have my old Shure E2c's to compare them to.

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 21
Just got home to find that they have arrived.
They took 4 days (over the weekend) to come from Japan to the UK. That is quicker than from the UK to the UK
biggrin.gif

Only used them for a half dozen songs, from Garage/house music, to cat Stephens 'father and son', to the start of Jeff Waynes 'War of the worlds', to Keane, Lenny Kravitz and jamiroquai, so my review is limited, and i can only compare them to the Shure E2c's.

Well, here we go...
popcorn.gif

Firstly the box from Ebay was VERY well packed, and secure.
Inside wa the CKM70 box...

IMG_0011.jpg

Eagerly, like a school kid at Christmas i opened the box, pausing only to take a photo (with my iPhone)...

IMG_0012.jpg

Inside was the main earphones displayed on a spnge, stuck to a card, that also had the extra 2 sizes of earbuds stuck to it...

IMG_0013.jpg

Also in the box was the extension lead, and the heavy duty cloth bag...

IMG_0014.jpg

The earphones themselves are a Y shape, with equal lengths of cord to each ear. The lead is rather thin, and has thicker flexy joints at the earphone and jack end. Speaking of the jack, all connectors are gold, the jack at the end of the extension is at a 90 degree angle, where the jack at the end of the phones is straight.

IMG_0015.jpg

The leads are very flexy. The first thing i notices was that they feel heavier than my E2c's, and feel much better quality.
I tried all the silican earbuds, that are very soft to use, but stuck with the mediums (so far). Once in the ears they feel very comfortable, and you soon forget you are wearing them, and they dont feel heavy what so ever once in position.
The first thing i did was go out for a jog, and i am glad to say that they didnt bounce around, come loose, or feel awkward. In fact they felt great, and sounded even better.
As i have already said, i have used them for about 30 minutes or so, so cant give a true review on how they sound, but i DID notice voices and intruments in some of the tracks that i have never heard before.
The base, mid and lower tones all sound fantastic.
By the way, i kept the equalizer off.

MATT

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the CKM50's better sounding than the audio technica ck7's?

In my opinion the CK7 and CKM50 sound very similar although the treble is slightly smoother on the CKM50. The CKM50 is a lot more comfortable for me, actually it's the most comfortable canalphone I've used yet. The CK7 does isolate a little more though, but overall I prefer the CKM50.

PCthug,

Congrats on the CKM70, they look nice. Quick question: is the enclosure sealed or are there any holes in it?

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punslayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PCthug,

Congrats on the CKM70, they look nice. Quick question: is the enclosure sealed or are there any holes in it?

There is a tiny pin hole between where the lead connects to them and the black plastic front. Check your 50's to see if they are the same.

I have now used them for several hours, bearing in mind they arent ran in yet, they do sound very clear and crisp. The bass is more noticable than on my Shures. The treble is very sharp, in good way.
I have now tried all of the earbuds than come with it, and the ones that came with my Shures, that surprisingly do fit. I have stuck with the mediums that were supplied with the AT's.
I have also noticed that i dont have to have the volume quite as high either.

I am by no means an an expert, but do hear a big difference for the better with these.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punslayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CKM50 has the same tiny hole, but there's also a pinhole on the plastic face near the stem.

Mine has the hole near the stem too. Didnt notice it til you said, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back