ATH-CK7's Noise isolation?
Jan 10, 2008 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gil_K

New Head-Fier
How's the Noise isolation @ the ATH-CK7 Compare to the CX300?
And which tip will be better choise to get the maximum isolation?

If there is some better IEM in the same price range just recommend it for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 8
It highly depends on the shape of your ears.

The CK7 overall has poorer isolation in comparison to the CX300, but only by a slight bit.

The isolation for both the CK7 and CX300 can be improved by backing the 'empty innard volumes' of the sleeves with foam (e.g Shure Black Olives that have been cut out).

Alternatively, you can use the UE Universal series BiFlange Sleeves, but in my experience, you'll be losing higher end detail (not quantity) as the drivers get placed further away from your ears.

Example image with sleeves upturned for the EP630/CX300 (Same housing. Improves isolation by quite a bit):
EP630sbof.jpg

CK7 w/ UE Universal series BiFlange Sleeve:
CK7Mod2.jpg

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't think thet the BiFlange will be Comfortable
so if i will use CX300 tip on thr CK7 the isolation will be better?

maybe there is some other IEM at 80$ ?

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 8
I'd tend to think that it doesn't make much of a difference.

Been through the original ATH-CK5 series types sleeves, Sony MDR-EX71 sleeves, Cresyn LMX-series sleeves, EP630/MD33S/CX300 sleeves, was most comfortable with the Sony (Black sleeves).

Isolation wasn't any different with any of the sleeves IMO, but the Sony's comfort levels were there.

For sub-US$80 IEMs, few, or perhaps none but the iM716 touches the CK7 performance-wise IMO. I think of them as ER6i with better bass impact and airier, better extended highs. Their performance levels either equal that of the ER6i, or they just outperform the ER6i by that slight bit IMO.

Of course, as with different individuals, YMMV.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd tend to think that it doesn't make much of a difference.

Been through the original ATH-CK5 series types sleeves, Sony MDR-EX71 sleeves, Cresyn LMX-series sleeves, EP630/MD33S/CX300 sleeves, was most comfortable with the Sony (Black sleeves).

Isolation wasn't any different with any of the sleeves IMO, but the Sony's comfort levels were there.

For sub-US$80 IEMs, few, or perhaps none but the iM716 touches the CK7 performance-wise IMO. I think of them as ER6i with better bass impact and airier, better extended highs. Their performance levels either equal that of the ER6i, or they just outperform the ER6i by that slight bit IMO.

Of course, as with different individuals, YMMV.

I'm interested in CK7 too, if it's possible could you tell me how they sound compared to the X3i?

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 8
I have not tried the X3i unfortunately, only it and its sister's predecessor, the X3 and the XB.

IMO, the CK7's performance bests the X3 by a long shot back then. Isolation however, goes to the X3s given their more 'penetrative' design.

As of recent though, a friend of mine that I had sold the CK7s to (going by the name of Raptor84 here in HeadFi), has managed to try out the X3i. and he mentioned somewhere in these forums that he preferred the CK7 over the X3i.

Whether it relates to performance or aural preference, I'm not sure, but knowing him, I'd say its a mix of both.

Just for fun's sake, I'll throw in a Goldring GX200 into the mix. Its performance class is at least similar, if not slightly better than the ER6i, CK7, HJE70 and MDR-EX91 class.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 8
I actually own both the X3i and the ATH-CK7, so I'll try to provide an idea of how the two compare.

I find the X3i to have less extension and detail in the high range in comparison to the CK7. The CK7 has an almost absurd amount of detail in the high range, providing a very clear and crisp sound in that part of the spectrum. Although, I'd suggest refraining from putting the treble too high with the CK7s, if not for the amplification of sibilance, then the possible ringing in your ears you'll have after listening for an extended period of time.

In terms of bass, the X3i has plenty and provides a good amount of impact without overpowering the high range. This is definitely one of their best qualities in my opinion, but you have to be sure that the buds are far enough in your canal to achieve sufficient isolation for optimum bass.

In this respect, the X3i has better isolation than the CK7 by far, because it simply can be positioned further into the canal without any compromise in comfort. The CK7 however, is bulky, and can be difficult to position just right. It tends to feel like there is a gap between my canal and the buds, but I think this is more of a figment of my perception, because when I tug on the bud, it feels tight. Suffice to say, more outside noise bleeds through with the CK7 than the X3i. One interesting thing to note though, is that the CK7 seems to sound louder than the X3i in spite of less isolation. I usually listen to the CK7s at 2dB less than with the X3i.

This is not to say the CK7 does not have a disadvantage in the low end, it just doesn't have quite as much bass. The impact is still very good, and is not drowned out by the highs, but the X3i's are more likely better suited for the bassheads than the CK7.

Overall, I'd say the CK7 has much better detail overall, and although provides isolation, draws attention to the subtleties of the music you might not otherwise perceive with lesser headphones. I feel that the X3i's are a more fun-sounding pair of headphones however, with that extra punch in the bass, but really, having both is the best of both worlds for two pairs of headphones <$150 in total. I find it really depends on your mood and your setting. I like the CK7s better for listening at home, while the X3i's for riding public transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back