ATH-CK7 VS. MylarOne X3i
Jan 24, 2008 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tuffguyblake

New Head-Fier
i am in between these two at the moment...which should i get?!

SQ for both is supposed to be awesome, i just cant come to a decision. i mainly listen to rock, and i'll be using my creative zen v-plus, so which would i prefer more?

As for the X3i's, is the durability a still an issue, or did they fix it up? also, the price is about the same for both, the ck7's at 70$ and the X3i's at 60$. i've heard great things about both, i just dont know which one to get. a direct comparision would be nice.

In terms of SQ, durability, and comfort, which one is the all-around better 'phone?

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 9
I don't have the X3i but I can guarantee that durability is not an issue with the CK7. I just bought a second CK7 yesterday for my GF. I bought mine last November (2006) and they still look like new.

I have more faith in the Japan made CK7 than the outsourced Chinese made X3i.

If you are in the US you can buy the CK7 from buy.com for $62 if you are new to Google Checkout.

Also, I have a fairly detailed review of the CK7 in my blog.

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 9
Can't do a direct comparison but the CK7s are less unamped than any other canal phone I have heard. So if you like a lot of deep bass the CK7s may not be for you. Amped they do get a lot darker though.

Do an advanced titles only search and you might turn up some comparisons.

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the X3i but I can guarantee that durability is not an issue with the CK7. I just bought a second CK7 yesterday for my GF. I bought mine last November (2006) and they still look like new.

I have more faith in the Japan made CK7 than the outsourced Chinese made X3i.

If you are in the US you can buy the CK7 from buy.com for $62 if you are new to Google Checkout.

Also, I have a fairly detailed review of the CK7 in my blog.

Actually, CrossRoads is a Korean company, not Chinese.

I have both the X3 and X3i (but not the CK7). I used them unamped.
The X3i, in comparison to the X3 has much more bass but less clarity. Bass tightens up and clarity begins to improve after ~20-40 hours. I love the X3i with rock.
Regarding the QC problems.. Both my pairs still work perfectly, and I don't even baby them. I just throw them around in my pocket or in my bag (they sometimes even accidentally dangle from my pocket >.<). Maybe it's just my luck, or something..

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuffguyblake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait, are u saying the ck7's arent that great without an amp? cuz i dont do any of that amplifier stuff, so are ck7's not my best choice if i dont amp?

i'd like to know this too as i am considering the CK7s for my Sony NWZ-S618.

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 9
count me among the undecisive.. before seeing this post, i started this one:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/alm...-about-291177/

i'm pretty sure i'm just going to get the ck7's, 'sides, i'll be amping it with my first amp (a penguinamp), and i have heard that the bass is quite sufficient (by several ck7 lovers), though not as much as the senn. cx300's for example.

anyway, i'm pretty sure i'm about to buy the ck7's.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 9
My CK7 died just recently... and its replaced by ... UM-2.. haha.. 2 totally different sound signatures...

My description of CK7 is that its sound is pretty analytical...good in the treble...Bass is not lacking, just controlled... For notes that really requires the bass, its comes through clean and good...

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by corsair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My CK7 died just recently... and its replaced by ... UM-2.. haha.. 2 totally different sound signatures...

My description of CK7 is that its sound is pretty analytical...good in the treble...Bass is not lacking, just controlled... For notes that really requires the bass, its comes through clean and good...

Agreed. They have a "bass reserve". I've had them for more than an year, and have been using the larger tips lately. They improve both isolation and bass impact for me. Also, they work very well with Mach3Bass setting on my Cowon D2.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great IEMs, IMO, but will not satisfy bassheads, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back