ATH-CK7 vs. Denon C551 vs. RE2
May 21, 2008 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mglak51jk

Head-Fier
These are the three I'm looking at. Do they all take Comply tips?
Which ones would be best for bass,warmth, and isolation?(assuming
I'd use the Complys) Your guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks

May 21, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 23
you can rule the CK7s out then if you want a "warm" phone... these are more analytical phones... i heard RE2s are a bit better than C551 and are a bargain at the moment at 80$... i recommend you to get the RE2s now while they're cheap until the 15th of june...

May 21, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 23
I definitely would not recommend the C551, at all. My friend has a pair, and IMO, they have no soundstage to speak of, and the bass reminds me of my really bad Sony clip-ons.

The RE2 isolates very well with the included biflanges. The bass is nice and tight, though might need some EQing for a few people. I haven't tried them with Comply tips, though.
I can't comment on the CK7, because I haven't tried them.

May 22, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 23
I owned both 551s and the RE2s, and I chose to keep the latter. I'm also not one of the Denon canalphone fans (sold off the 700s too). Not that they are bad, per se, but I find them a little too harsh on balance. I really like the RE2s, amped and unamped. The do need a little EQ on the bass, but not much. I use Comply T400s, and find them a better sleeve (not a fan of silicone), once they settle in and expand. And the RE2s are light, feel like nothing. The Denons are metal, and a little heavier.

I agree with BetaLyr, the RE2s are a great deal at $80.

May 22, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned both 551s and the RE2s

In your comparison you stated that the RE2 was a bit lighter. I'm looking to replace my EP630s at the gym, so they'll get beat up a little (sweat, wrapped around DAP in pocket, etc., though my stuff still tends to last a long time). Do you think the Denons would work a little better there, or there probably isn't much difference?

It sucks when a limited-time offer like the RE2 comes and tries to force a decision out of you!

May 22, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 23
Can only comment on CK7 from your choices...

Good bass presentation, very good. Bright and detailed treble. Clear mids. A warm sig (ala Shure)? No. Not great but not bad on isolation, but leaks some. Superb build quality. It's SQ punches above it's class...

May 23, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your comparison you stated that the RE2 was a bit lighter. I'm looking to replace my EP630s at the gym, so they'll get beat up a little (sweat, wrapped around DAP in pocket, etc., though my stuff still tends to last a long time). Do you think the Denons would work a little better there, or there probably isn't much difference?

It sucks when a limited-time offer like the RE2 comes and tries to force a decision out of you!

Funny, but I gave away my 551s to a friend to use at the gym. I should ask her. But the RE2s come with an extension cable (as do the 551s), and I think the light plastic driver housing is more gym-friendly. That's not to sat the 551s are a poor choice for the gym either. Tough call. The RE2s are a more subtle, refined sound signature, and might need a little more juice to be driven. But I like that more that sound more than the in your face sound the Denons deliver. Again, just my two cents.

May 23, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #8 of 23
Dear tstarn06, Can you please advice which earphone goes better with the Sony 61x/81x player - Denonc551 or the RE2? Im desperately looking for new phones for my sony NWZ s618 player and these are my final choices! I would be very very grateful if i can get an advice. I listen to classic and alternate rock, heavy metal, pop etc., and like a lot of bass in my music. Detail and isolation are important too. Thanks in advance!!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 23
I agree with tstarn06's observations. I came from CX300s to RE-2s and having listened to my roommate's C551s (both with Comply T-400s), the RE-2s clearly win. The biggest issue I have is now all my source material (crappily encoded MP3s) sound horrible because the RE-2s readily expose them.

If you love bass, you really need to amp the RE-2s, else they'll flail about in lackluster fashion. RE-2s produce solid, precise bass, not the muddy stuff my CX300s were throwing out, so without proper power they simply won't push clear bass out.

May 23, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Head-Direct offer has been for at least 2-3 months now, and it was extended too. So not really all that limited. Fang is a very fair guy on that front.

May 23, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #13 of 23
The RE-2 sounds like the way to go-but is it really too much to power without an amp straight out of an ipod? Wanna use it as my number one portable-for the gym,the train etc. so an amp would not work for me.

May 24, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mglak51jk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RE-2 sounds like the way to go-but is it really too much to power without an amp straight out of an ipod? Wanna use it as my number one portable-for the gym,the train etc. so an amp would not work for me.

I don't think they require an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back