ATH-CK10 for sleeping in?
Jun 26, 2010 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

morgtron

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here. /wave
I've been looking around for a pair of IEMs for a while (had to get glasses and now my Grados don't really fit over them comfortably), and I think I'm going to shoot for the Audio Technica ATH-CK10s. Just one thing I need to know, though -- how are they for sleeping in? With your head against the pillow, that is... do they poke out too far or stick against your ears or anything like that?

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 8
Welcome :D
I personally don't have these, however there are claims that it does lie within the ear.

This completely depends on the shape of your ear, however.

Taken from this review.

Quote:
Fit

Compared to other multiple driver phones, they are tiny. Even with my small ear canals, when fully inserted, the plaque logo cannot be seen from the side. These phones are stealthy.

These are the first phones that for a small-canaled person I believe, can actually call canal phones. Every other IEM I have tried has stood out at strange angles or been uncomfortably large in my ears. The CK-10 lie flush with within the flap of skin that covers my ear canal and the last part of my outer ear.

I have never been able to lie on my side with any earbud, phone or IEM. The same is almost true with the CK-10. They are small enough to not cause me discomfort, but as they are very thin, they do not lie flush with the inner side of my ear, so when I lay down, the tube angle changes and the sound is swallowed up.

They are more comfortable than any IEM I have used to date, full stop. However, I must qualify this. The earpieces that are included with are all silicone. For most people, silicone might be comfortable and usable but it bothers my ears very soon and in just a few days of use, I will develop sores inside my ears.

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 8
Take a look at this thread here, there are pages and pages of info for you. Pretty sure someone would be able to comment on the ability to sleep in them or not.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/467576/audio-technica-ath-ck10/360

Check out post #363 by the way, the images show the ck10 in ear with cord down and up. In both cases they look to sit either flush with the outer ear or even set in a bit. In either case I think sleeping with them would definitely work.

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 8
The ck10 will basically disappear inside you ears depending on what tips you use. When I use the sony hybrids the ck10 sit inside my ear but when using the triple flange it sticks a lot more.
Sleeping:
Sony hybrids: YES
Triple flange: NO

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 8
I had no issues with triple flanges on the CK10. There wasn't much difference in terms of where it was in my ear with triple flanges or hybrids. Sleeping with the CK10 is fine..can't get much better than them for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back