ATH-ANC7B vs ATH-M50 for noise cancelling in airplane ride?
Oct 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jeff0000

New Head-Fier
I am trying to decide between the ATH-ANC7B and the ATH-M50 for listening to music and noise cancelling (active or passive) on an airplane ride between the US and India. I have heard that the noise cancelling really lowers the quality of the audio. Also, I have never used neutral headphones (I know the ATH-M50s are) and am not sure if I would like them or not.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on which you think would be better overall to use on an airplane with all the jet engine noise? I don't want to go deaf after listening for 25 hours of being on the plane.

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 5
I've using ANC (active noise cancelling) gear for years now and can't live without it. They can really drown background noise and work really well with jet engine noise. Also, honestly you don't really lose that much in terms of fidelity especially if you think of all the noise that doesn't reach your ears.

I usually prefer earbuds for their portability so my weapon of choice is the ATH-ANC23. They provide noise isolation in addition to noise cancellation, they're quite comfortable, good sound and the whole package is tiny compared to full-sized cans.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for that info! I read many reviews on the ATH-ANC23, and some people commented on the odd cord lengths that makes the electronics box sit halfway between the ear and the waist. I guess this issue wasn't a deal breaker for you? Did you find any ways to work around the problem?

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 5
Haven't really had any problems with that. The small box has a clip on the back and you can clip it onto your shirt or jacket so that it doesn't weigh on your ears. Also I find that the length of the cable for me is sufficiently long that I can also clip it on my pants pockets (or belt loops) (especially when sitting down) -- although while walking it creates more wire noise this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back