ATH-ANC3
Aug 23, 2008 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dookiex

100+ Head-Fier
Not going to give too much detail as I am feeling a bit lazy tonight but I just wanted to give some impressions on a pair of ATH-ANC3 which I've had for quite some time.

First off, when I first got these, I thought they stunk to high heavens. Completely congested and details were shot to hell. There was just two things that saved them from being crushed intentionally by me... bass. These step children from Audio-Technica packed a very meaty and very fun bass, especially when the active NC was turned on. Thus I kept them around and used them as my phones for when I knew that I would be out and partying. They are built like a tank thus I had no worries of them breaking down on me from rough handling. I also didn't care if they were lost. Finally, the active NC actually worked pretty well (however, it the circuitry doesn't seem to filter out higher frequencies).

Now, I've recently received my Tomahawk amp and needed a pair of headphones which I could burn the amp with. First and only candidate, my ATH-ANC3s. Now, before I started burning them in, I stuck them in my ears to set the volume to a little over normal loud listening volume. Guess what... I was pretty much blown away! These headphones cleaned up soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! Congestion lifted and it was like listening to a brand new pair of headphones! They are actually quite good now, not mind blowingly good, but very very good indeed! I was totally shocked.

Last but not least, I would like to point out that I was listening to the ATH-ANC3 through the Tomahawk in passive mode, basically with the active NC turned off. With the active NC turned out, the sound degraded again since the signal gets processed through the active NC. I also checked the online specs for these things and found that they were 90 ohms, now wonder they sounded so bad coming straight out of my iPhone! So, I think if any of you ever comes across a pair of these for a good price (I got mines for about a hundred, which I totally think is an excellent price but of course that's with the amp), you should pick them up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back