ATH-AD900X Users Please Advise
Dec 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

priler

New Head-Fier
  hello everyone. I new here and I hope my stay is a pleasant one.

i'm interested in the ad900x but I need to know how it would deal with many parts of progressive rock with it's complex and layered pieces,from bands that have been around a long time to the newer ones.

here's an example,you can start at 50 seconds if you wish:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBmUX74aME0

this is for straight out of my new dell inspiron 660s for watching steamed Netflix movies,music CDs,DVDs and sometimes youtube.

I listen to many prog bands and i'm worried about this from the reviews right here. one reviewer: "however it lacks a little definition and on densely layered music it starts to sound incoherent or inarticulate." another reviewer: "detail presentation and imaging are fantastic,as is instrument layering and separation."  these two sound contradictory don't they? I understand the use of different music for the evaluation but......

I wrote a massive post explaining about myself,what I use,what HPs I've looked into,the sound signature I want,etc.,etc.,etc.,...but it got lost when I tried to post. I just don't have it in me to type all that over again.

in short,i've been using my pioneer VSX D1S with bose 601 series 3 and I can hear details in the music that are lost/missing with the HPs I have now. does the ad900x pick up even the smallest,tiniest detail in full? and what about the question above in regards to complex and layered pieces,does it sound good or is it a mess?

if you have an ad900x,plug it straight into your computer and have a listen.

thanks so much.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 3
I've listened to your sample directly through ODAC - sounded a bit too slow.
When I've added E12 to the chain - sounded much better.
I guess different equipment may have affected the 2 reviewers you mentioned.

In general AD900X is best with more laid back music, but don't forget it's just a 200$ headphone.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 3
  hmm,sounds like a sales pitch to spend even more money.
o2smile.gif

thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if it's wide soundscape affects or detracts from that type of music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back