ATH-AD900 vs. SR 325i help
Jan 8, 2009 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

geremy

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering purchasing either the ATH-AD900s or the SR-325is. I would like to be able to drive them with and without an amp (which is the main reason I chosen Audio Technica and Grado). I auditioned some ATH-A700s and some SR-60s. I really liked both pairs. I listen to a lot of Zeppelin; metal and blues are my two most frequent genres. I also listen to some electronic House (like Sounds of Miss Moneypenny) and classic Jazz/Pop like Steely Dan.

How do these two compare?

Here are some things sound-wise I want with the phones:
- I like the 'up-front' aspect of both. You can really hear the hit of the drums and the strum of the strings. You can also hear an edge to the vocals that you don't get with some other brands. Powerful electric guitar is great for metal and blues.
- I like the quick bass response of the AT. The grado SR-60 bass response is impressive, and I am thinking that maybe with the aluminum cups it and high quality drivers it will speed up to comparable levels.
- I like the separation of the AT. I want to hear each instrument distinctly.
- Clarity. The ATH-A700s were 1000% more clear than the SR-60s, but I would expect that based on a price comparison. I'm hoping that the SR-325i are at least comparable in clarity.

I don't think I care so much about the size of the soundstage as long as each instrument is distinct and clear.

I'm a little bit concerned about harsh, fatiguing highs from the 325i. Lots of reviews say they aren't that harsh but just 'clear'?

The reason that I am somewhat reluctant to buy the ATH-AD900s is that they are most likely too big for my head (the 700s are) and I need to put a rubber band around the wings on the AT. Also, like to wear my headphones around my neck a lot, which is nigh impossible with ATs. The cups are HUGE. I like the fact that you can 'tune' the Grados with different earpieces.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 6
Soundstage and size are the two biggest differences.

So I would suggest just deciding, do I want soundstage. Do I want it to be small enough to wear around my neck, making the headphones useless (a little odd for requirement).

Anyways good luck.

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 6
So than I am correct in assuming that the bass speed and clarity will be similar between the two? I haven't been able to listen to either model, only other models of the same brand.

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 6
Well after doing much research on both sets of phones I think I'm going to go with the 325i. Since my wife already uses the AT 700s, I might as well buy something different.

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 6
If you want to have them around your neck, the AD900 are pretty impractical
tongue.gif

The 325i sound great with the types of music you have mentioned (I have the similar Alessandro MS2i but have heard the 325i as well). They are really in your face and aggressive, but I find that great for rock and metal. You hear every hit of the drums and strum of strings loud and clear. I also find pop, dance, electro, etc really tight with great highs and nice punctuated bass.

SR225 might be an option if you want something a little more polite than the 325, but since you have said you like the in-your-face sound, I say go straight to the top with the 325.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back